TWENTY-SIXTH CHAPTER

They had taken a black van that had been parked at the Mayan compound. It was rattling on all sides, but at least it rode. They had taken off the license plates, so nothing would point to the club. Coco's hands felt clammy. That damn ski mask he was wearing since a few minutes, was itching like hell. Skittishly he peeked through the window. Gilly was already in place, hiding behind a tree. Luckily the sky was grey with an overcast, hopefully he wouldn't strike the eye. Everything depended on Emily now. When she let them down, they were fucked.

"There she is," the boy scout said from the backseat.

Coco's eyes shot to the front door. One insane moment he hoped that Juanita would walk out of the house, covered in blood and with a trail of bodies behind her like some badass killer chick. It obviously wasn't her. It was Emily, who was followed by a bodyguard. Angel motioned to Gilly that their target was on his way, where after they sank deeper in their seats to keep out of sight.

Anxiously, they waited. The gate opened and closed. Then, Coco heard a grunt he imagined Gilly overwhelming the bodyguard. Not much later the boot lid was opened and Gilly threw a man inside. He was unconscious. Quickly, he gagged the man, tying his arms together. For a moment he looked awkwardly at Emily, who nodded and let him tie her too.

Coco believed it was taking too long. Opening the car door, he stepped outside. Angel followed immediately and right when they reached the gate, the other two Mayans joined hem. Gilly handed the key to Angel, who opened the gate.

"I'll make sure the engine is running."

Instead of heading towards the front door, they went to the side of the building. Luckily, Emily told them where Juanita was held. Even though Coco was tempted to run straight for her, he kept himself in check. He needed a clear head to avoid stupid decisions. Juanita was a tough one, she wouldn't be easy to break.

Without being seen, they reached the window. They shared a glance, then Angel nodded. Shooting the glass to pieces was risky, they would attract attention immediately. Yet, they couldn't use the door either.

And we barely have time.

Angel made the decision before he could do it; with two shots, he shattered the window. Coco saw a man standing next to the door and shot at him. Only when the guy was dead, he looked around. Juanita was tied to a chair. Her eyes were wide in shock, but she didn't seem to be afraid. Tearing his glance away from her, he took in the rest of the room. A few steps away from her, Nestor was talking to a young woman. As soon as he realized they were under attack, he pushed the girl behind him and grabbed his gun.

Coco didn't hesitate, he fired two shots. The man's body was jolting because of the impact; he'd hit him in the stomach and chest. The girl behind him screamed.

In the meantime, EZ had climbed through the window. He shoved the chair with his sister to the side, giving Coco a clear shot at the door. The moment it opened, he would shoot. With a knife, EZ cut the ties around Juanita's wrists where after she ran towards them.

Coco caught her as she climbed through the window. "Camila," she panted. "She knows everything, she's Nestor's sister and working for the cartel. She... she can't live."

Coco exchanged a look with Angel, who nodded. The girls probably knew each other. Even though they had no choice but to silence the girl, he didn't want Juanita to see it.

"Let's go." He grabbed her wrist.

"Cruz?" she asked in a hoarse voice. Apparently, she hadn't recognized him until now.

"Who else? Your rebel friends?"

She shrugged.

He pulled her away from the window and dragged her towards the exit. People were screaming, he could see men running around.

"We gotta go!" he yelled over his shoulder. There was a gunshot, then Angel also climbed through the window. Shooting, they ran across the grass and around the pound. Bullets flew around them. He stayed close to Juanita, so he would catch the bullets. Right before he reached the gate, there was an explosion of pain in his calve.

"Fuck," he grunted.

Angel showed up next to him, wrapping one arm around his back while pushing him forward. Gilly was already waiting behind the gate, the engine running and the doors open. The prospect took the seat next to Gilly, the others crawled on the backseat. Coco was hissing in pain.

"You're one of a kind, Nightingale," he grumbled. "At our first meeting you shoot me and now there's another bullet in my leg because of your stupid actions."

She turned towards him, rolled up his ski mask to reveal his lips, and kissed him. Coco grabbed a handful of her hair and kissed her back passionately. Next to him, he heard Angel grunt but he didn't care.

He had almost lost her. There was no way he would let her go again...

. . .

They dropped Emily and the guard somewhere at a streetcorner. He had no doubt that Galindo would find his girl. The only thing still worrying him was that Nestor might have told someone that his captive was a Reyes sister.

"I don't think so," Juanita said as they left the car.

They had tied off Coco's leg, Angel helped him towards his apartment. Going to a hospital was too risky. Perhaps, Galindo would hear that his men had shot someone in the leg.

"He created the impression that I had to be some surprise when Galindo came home," Juanita explained. "And I don't think he likes to bother his boss. According to him, I couldn't go anywhere anyway."

"Let's hope you're right."

Leaning against Angel, Coco put the key in the lock, and a few moments later, he hoisted himself at the dinner table.

"Well, Nightingale. As it seems, you gotta live up to your name again."

She lifted the corner of her lips. "Only for you, Cruz. Only for you."

. . . 

The end

Thank you for reading! <3