Shieldmaidens fury

The party in the main hall was lavish and loud. Drink flowed and food weighed heavy on everytable. Fires hung from the ceiling lighting the hall, a few small fires were lit and men gathered around, children listening to their stories in fascination. You smiled as you spotted Hvitserk telling his own story to one of Ubbe's sons.

A strong hand grabbed at you. When you looked up to see who had wrapped an arm around your waist you were somewhat surprised. Bjorn was smiling down at you. "You looked lovely tonight (Y/N)." He muttered.

"Yes, Hvitserk thought so." You said curtly. He raised his eyebrows and looked amused. "You are not enjoying the night?"

"Oh, I am enjoying it, with Hvitserk." You said firmly. You could see Torvi sitting with Ubbe and Gunnhild talking with other shieldmaiden, some of whom you often fought beside. You made sure the glare you fied Bjorn was harder than it had been before.

"You should enjoy it with me. It will be better." Bjorn said as he leant in. Gunnhild caught your eye as he leant in closer still and you hit him in the nose with the palm of your hand.

He grunted in pain and shouted out at you, drawing the attention of the people around you.

"What is wrong with you?" Bjorn snapped.

"Me? What is wrong with me?" You seethed. He looked you up and down as if you had wronged him and Hvitserk hurried over, fussing at your side. "You ask me, your brother's wife to lay with you because it will be better. In front of your wife, whom you chose over Torvi the mother of your children. I thought the reason you shunned your father was because he started a relationship with Aslaug, Yet you do the same thing you shamed him for, but far worse." You could feel the eyes of everyone on you but you glared at Bjorn who scowled at you.

"If you do not want me then just say so." Bjorn snapped viciously.

"How anyone wants you is a wonder for the gods to behold." When Bjorn found what you said offensive he glanced at Hvitserk and Ubbe, neither looked him in the eye and he realised Hvitserk had taken your sword from you and Ubbe's hand was tight on your arm.

Looking further around the hall few met his eyes. Gunnhild was smiling at you, approving of what you said. Torvi was smiling in a corner but she fussed her child, hiding her approval of your comments behind the guise of fussing her son.