9. The Half Of It

"And that is why y'all are always so horny."

I snort, unable to contain my laughter any longer. I had bet Nick that he wouldn't say that during our Anatomy presentation. I was now ten dollars short and on the verge of peeing myself.

"Thank you, Nick, for that...insight." Mr. Richmond coughs, ushering us back to our seats.

"Damn you, Rainer." I huff, passing over the dollar bill.

He tips his imaginary cowboy hat. "Much obliged, ma'am."

I smack him. "Oh, stop it."

It's been almost a month and still there is no sign of Troy. I had finally called him from my number but it went straight to voicemail. There were two rings and then it cut off, like someone saw that it was ringing and ignored the call. Like Troy ignored my call.

Every morning Nick would meet me in the parking lot and tell me the latest news on his cousin. I don't know when we became partners in this or why it happened, but it was obvious that I was now as much part of this man hunt as Nick is. We would each get disappointed when there were no further advancements and celebrate with breakfast lunchboxes when there was a small glimmer of hope.

I had asked why his family didn't involve the police. Nick said that they had originally, when he first started disappearing in the sixth grade. Originally they were worried that something awful had happened to him and had called the the police. After the fifth time however, the police got tired of worrying over a kid that was perfectly fine wherever he went off to.

I could tell that his cousin's disappearance was starting to weigh on Nick. He wouldn't admit it, but I could tell that his steps weren't as alive as they were when I first arrived. He didn't talk about Troy much, which also seemed to bother him more than when he did. It was like he needed to talk about him, like mentioning his name every day would call him back home.

The bell rings as class is dismissed, giving the students who were doing their projects an excuse to stop talking. Mr. Richmond yells at them as they scrambling out of the door, stating that they will be doing their presentation next class.

I gather my things. Nick is standing by my desk with his own bag thrown over his shoulder, waiting patiently for me to finish. I nod to him zip up my bookbag, letting him know I'm ready. We walk out together.

"You're coming to the game tonight, right?"

I smirk. "I think I can convince Romul to go."

The truth was had been Romul's idea to go to the game. What he didn't know was that I had been invited by Nick the day before. It was better for my brother to think that going to the game was his idea and not a manipulation on my part.

"Great." He proceeds to tell me to get there earlier, that tonight is the game against our rivals, Ridgeway. He tells we where to dit so that I won't get caught in between the fights that tend to break out between the parents.

"Nick, I've got it." I laugh, shoving at his shoulder playfully. I pause in the middle of the parking lot, both his and Romul's car in my line of vision. Romul is leaning against the car and Peter is in the passenger seat like every other time they get out here before me.

"Are you riding with me or your brothers?" Both of them were heading straight to the game. I never asked why Nick didn't have to ride on the bus with the team, but it left opportunities for long car rides with him that resulted in much needed nap times, so I didn't bother with it too much.

"Peter's birthday is coming up." I nod towards the car. "I should spend some time with him."

"Ok. See you there?"