27. The Last Laugh

It felt so good to be back in the backseat of an old car. It was much newer than the station wagon, but with Romul's messy tendencies and his spectacular driving skills, it would start to feel like home in no time.

When Mom gave us permission to do this, I thought I was hallucinating. We had been on house arrest for weeks because of what happened with Mrs. Bianchi. Laptops only used for school work, only going outside to pick up things from the grocery store or to go to and from school. Thankfully, I had an impressive collection of movies we could watch when our parents were working. That had been the only escape we've had, and it still wasn't enough to stop us from going stir crazy.

"Are we going to stop at KFC any time soon?" Peter whines. He rolls around in the passenger seat while grabbing his stomach, acting like it's physically eating him alive.

"We stopped twenty minutes ago." Romul says.

"But I'm still hungry!"

"Of course you are." I roll my eyes. "You should've gotten more than just a thing of popcorn chicken."

"But it's so good!"

"Then stop complaining!" I rebuttal.

The scenery passes through the window as we fly pass. Melting snow litters the ground as even more snow continues to fall. They are big flakes swirling around in the winter air. Large embankments tower over both sides of the highway and block out most of the gray sky. Everything is monotone as we drive. The snow sucks in all sound and it feels like we're driving on the moon.

My phone buzzes.

Nick<3: I wish u could be here

Nick<3: my birthday party sucks without u

I chuckle at the texts. Leaning forward, I tilt the screen left to right to show Romul and Peter my screen.

"He seems so sad." I pout, sticking out my bottom lip.

"I would too." Romul answers. "Birthday parties suck."

Me: me to. I miss u

Two seconds later and Romul parallel parks on the side of the street. He shuts the car off and turns over his shoulder to look at me, his elbow resting on the back of the seat. He's smiling. "You ready for this?"

I look up at the house, feeling a sense of déjà vu. Through the front windows I see crowds of people, but instead of half-drunk teenagers there are older people chatting respectful to each other, talking about family matters and their works. It wasn't as interesting as a normal party, but one of those people in that crowd would make it all worth it.

"Let's do it."

We all get out of the car and start walking towards the house, going on the walk way so that we don't have to trudge through knee high snow piles.

"Are you excited for this?"

I nod. "I think so. I'm just nervous."

"Relax. You'll be fine."

"I know." And I do. I know that this will be one of the greatest things that I'll ever experience in my life. Surprises have always been my thing, especially as a young child.

A very familiar face looks out between the curtains, noticing us walking his way. Quickly he slips between his relative and comes running outside without putting on a jacket. His strawberry blonde hair flows around in the wind as he comes to stop in front of us.

"What are y'all doing here?" He asks, trying to keep his voice quiet so that no one inside can hear him.

"Oh my God, Troy?" I laugh, taking him all in. He's out of his casts and his bruises and wounds have completely healed. He's wearing jeans and a simple dark red sweatshirt, but he looks as good as ever.