20. Little Evil

I awoke a few hours exhausted. At first I couldn't understand what it could have been that woke me. For once it wasn't a nightmare. Tonight I had been too tired from the nights of no sleep and functioning on caffeine that I had fallen into a dead sleep right after Nick did.

My eyes adjust to the dark as I blink. Everything around me climbs in mosterous shadows, alight by the moon shining out my window. Again my pillow vibrates and I yawn, digging my phone out from underneath it.

I place it to my ear. "Hello?"

"Hey, it's me." Nick says. His voice is thick with sleep and emotion as he talks to me. "Could you come outside?"

"Can I...do what?" I sit up in bed and my quilt falls off from around my shoulders. I scratch my head as I look over to the alarm. Three eighteen a.m..

"Could you come?"

"I mean, uh, yeah. Give me a minute."

We hang up. I sit still for a few seconds, still half asleep. I finally find the energy to peel myself off the coat and stand. I slip on a pair of crocks as I walk to my bedroom door. I tie my hair up with a spare hair tie as I creep through the house, being careful not to wake up anyone else.

Someone is snoring on the couch, most likely Dad. He had been up a lot lately, rewatching one of his favorite t.v. shows. Mom usually leaves him on the couch once he nods off, knowing that if she wakes him she'll be suffering all of his wrath.

The garage door clicks behind me as I pull it closed. Through the garage door I can hear the world outside. It's dead silence, as it should be at this time in the morning. I stumble my way through the pitch black garage with baby steps, my hands out in front of me so that I can find the small side door to get outside.

I finally find it and open it, revealing Nick parked in the driveway with his lights off. I make my way over to the passenger side and hop in, automatically putting my hands up to the vent so that my fingers can thaw. I was starting to wish that it hadn't snowed. The concept was gorgeous, but the reality was almost not worth it.

"What's happening?" I yawn. He's still in his pajamas as well, except this time his eyes are rimmed red as well, like he's been crying. Seeing this, I put my hand on the side of his face and brush a thumb over his cheekbones. "Hey, what's wrong?"

His eyes focus on me and start to flood with tears again. "They've found Troy."

My breath hitches in my throat. "Really? That's great!"

His excitement doesn't mirror my own. In fact, it isn't even there. I pull my hand away and look at his face, trying to gauge a reaction out of him. There's nothing.

"Is that not great news?" My heart starts to beat faster as every possible solution starts to run through my mind. I start to fear the worse. "What happened, Nick?"

"He's in the hospital."

I gasp, thinking back to his previous injuries. He left before they could heal even half way. Those grave injuries, whatever they were, since Mom never told us, had to have been re-agravated wherever he was.

"He knocked on some woman's door earlier before passing out." He continues. "The hospital called Mom about thirty minutes ago. I was heading down there, but I didn't know if I could do it alone."

I take his hand in mine and squeeze, already knowing what he's asking of me. "Of course I'll come with you."

"You sure?"

"I'm with you in this. You know that."

"Thank you."

"Anytime." I sit in my seat properly, reaching for my seatbelt. "Now, come on, let's go."