Chapter Seventeen; Bad Advice

If you looked at Kelita as she and Morabi strode into the throne room, you would never guess she was an emotional wreck the night before.

Her long, freshly washed dreadlocks were drawn up in a bun and decorated with spun gold. As she walked, her hair trailed an intoxicating scent of cedar and myrrh. Around her slender neck were her signature gold bands, which also adorned her wrists. And her royal silk cloak dragged on the ground behind her.

But it was her eyes, accentuated by the smoky shadows surrounding them, that grabbed the most attention. They swept the room of bowing nobles and supplicants, before she slowly settled herself on the gilded throne with as much grace as an ancient Egyptian cat.

Morabi stood beside her and unfurled a parchment. He frowned.

"Kaygen of Aruba, step forward."

A man stepped out from the gathering of courtiers, dressed in a while silk robe and white turban that contrasted sharply with his dark skin. He bowed at the hip, eyes fixed on the Empress.

"What is this about Kaygen of Aruba?" Morabi asked, one eye brow raised. "Surely not your salt mine permits again?"

"But that's just it!" Kaygen replied. "Its been two months since my permits expired. I can't operate my mines and it's driving me out of business. Why is the government not approving them!"

Morabi opened his mouth to reply, but Kelita's delicate hand on his arm stopped him.

"The emperor spoke to you Kaygen," Kelita said calmly, fixing her eyes on him. "Did you think the policy would change now that he's gone and I'm ruling in his stead? Well it hasn't. No slaves means no slaves. When you open your mines to inspections and satisfy us that you are not using slave labour, you can have your permit."

Kaygen clenched his fists.

"With all due respect," the businessman, said in what could only be interpreted as a disrespectful tone. "That policy is a ludicrous one. What do you think drives the economy? Slave labour! Besides, other salt merchants use slave labour."

"A situation I and my husband fully intend to change," Kelita said, smiling. "One trader at a time. Don't concern yourself with the others, they'll have to renew their permits too."

Kaygen's mouth twitched, a look on his face as though he was desperately holding back whatever words he wanted to fling at the Empress like daggers. But Kelita merely examined her nails.

A sudden commotion outside the doors to the hall snapped her attention back to her court. She exchanged a glance with Morabi, but he looked just as confused as she felt. Morabi stared pointedly at an imperial guard, who went to investigate the noise. 

But before the guard could reach the doors, they burst open and a soldier stumbled through. Kelita opened her mouth to reprimand him, but her words caught in her throat as she took in his dusty clothes, bedraggled state and his horrified eyes.

"What is it?" Morabi snapped. But the soldier opened and closed his mouth, like a fish out of water. 

Kelita rose and stepped down from the dais on legs that felt like trembling rubber. She recognized the soldier now, at least by his uniform. He was from one of General Agdel's regiments, the very regiments that had left the night before, with her blessing, to march on Bremon. Why were they back so early?

As if to put her tortured speculation to rest, the doors swung open again. This time a procession came through, shunting the disheveled soldier aside. The procession was led by General Rodrick, just as disheveled as his soldier and with a nasty gash on his muscular arm. But Kelita's gaze was drawn to the wooden bier being carried on the shoulders of four soldiers, walking in step behind Rodrick. And the body it held, of a soldier in black armor.