Chapter Twenty-four; The Smuggler

Votrek hated to admit it, but he was beginning to like Morabi. For a brief interruption in the civil war, he could put aside the fact that Morabi came from the other side and see him as a human being he could relate to.

The old man worked diligently, barely ate and only spoke when spoken to, as he and the engineer put their heads together and mapped the Kalli walls. He never seemed intimidated, although Votrek wondered if this was bravery or just the demeanour of an old man with nothing to live for.

Morabi had said he was merely there when the walls were being built. But as Votrek listened to the two of them talk, it was clear from Morabi's in-depth technical knowledge of constructing walled defences, that he was no idle bystander during the building of the Kalli wall.

Not to mention, Morabi was the very definition of self-made. From slave to the advisor of two emperors. Votrek itched with curiosity, to learn from this old man.

"They say you made your fortune the day you saved Emperor Abdullah II from a coup," Votrek said, coming up with two glasses of wine and waving the engineer away. He offered a glass to Morabi, but he shook his head.

"I don't drink, sire. And they would be right."

"How did you do it?"

Morabi shrugged and Votrek was newly impressed, at how nonchalant he was when describing his heroics.

"Nothing much to tell sire. I saved him from a bunch of crazed, insecure army officers who didn't like how Abdullah was favouring Genda in the imperial army. I got wind of their plans to murder him in his bed and I snuck him out."

"This was just before the secession crisis?"

Morabi nodded.

"He favoured Genda to produce a bride for his son too, didn't he?"

Morabi nodded again. "Yes, Emperor Abdullah betrothed his son to little Princess Kelita."

Votrek got up and began pacing, his eyes alight with curiosity as he hypothesized on the history of the empire and his teachings came flooding back to him.

"It all makes sense! First Prince Rodell helps Abdullah set up the sumoso unit, to weaken the power of the old beasts of war unit he inherited from the first emperor. Then Rodell convinces him to betroth crown prince Moutassim to his daughter. No wonder the army officers revolted."

"Well," Morabi said silkily. "It didn't help that your father encouraged and sheltered the elephant master, his fellow rebels and his hostage."

Votrek stopped pacing and idly fiddled with the runestone around his neck. He was less bothered by any underhand tactics his father might have used, than the fact that any mention of Bandu brought back unwelcome memories of his childhood.

"What is it they say? All's fair in love and politics," Votrek shrugged, before going to the tent opening to recall the engineer. "Anyway, break time's over. Back to work."

🇬🇾

Pathrice halted the horse on the hill overlooking the city of Kalli and surveyed the scene before her. Based on her estimates, approximately two thousand Sieberon troops had laid siege to the city. There were thirty trebuchets, ten catapults and twenty ballistas.

In the centre of this intimidating force of black armoured behemoths was a great, black military tent with silver trimmings. No doubt belonging to the King of Sieberon, a behemoth himself.

Behind her, Akhmed tightened his hold around her waist. When she glanced back, she saw that he was staring down at the armies with the wide-eyed innocence of a civilian who has never seen the Sieberonians arrayed for battle.