Chapter Twenty-seven; Bloody hands

Votrek leaned against the tent pole and waited. He was frowning as rays from the rising sun hit his dark skin, his beard and the rune stone nestled against his hairy chest on the end of the gleaming silver chain.

There were shadows under his eyes as he toyed with the faintly glowing rune stone and recalled his dream from last night. It was the first time he had dreamed of his father, since his murder.

Votrek had been staring up at the starry night sky, lying in mud while familiar sounds of battle resonated around him. Come to think of it, the mud was also familiar. And as if on cue, a familiar face had come into view.

It was Bandu as he looked during the cancer, a smirk stretching his thin lips as he feebly controlled the horse and kept it from smashing in Votrek's face. His shoulders and cheeks were still collapsed inwards. But there was spittle at the side of his mouth. And the blood vessels behind his eyes had been ruptured.

"Bloody child, bloody future, bloody hands..." Bandu had murmured, staring down at him with his crimson eyes.

Votrek had examined his hands and recoiled. They were covered in blood. His blood. He looked down at his chest, but the cavity was ripped open. His heart was gone and blood was spurting before his eyes.

"Bloody child, bloody future, bloody hands!" Bandu had screamed now, pointing a skeletal finger at him. The smirk was gone.

"No..."

"Bloody child, bloody future, bloody hands!"

With a start, Votrek had awoken. But no matter how many glasses of wine he downed, no matter how much he gripped his runestone, he could not shake off the premonition gripping him that something terrible was going to happen. Either to him, his daughter in Bremon or his brother Otho in Sieberon, acting as regent in his absence.

Finally, Morabi came into view flanked by two Sieberon guards who dwarfed him. The former Chief Minister did not go anywhere without guards accompanying him. Even to relieve himself, as he had just done. Votrek might like him. That didn't mean he trusted him.

Votrek nodded to the guards and they strode off to tend to their duties, leaving Morabi with him.

"Do you have everything that you need to work? Are you comfortable?"

Morabi looked at him as he wiped his hands. Votrek could sense his doubt. He looked down at Morabi and smiled in encouragement.

"Yes, your majesty."

"When will you finish the map with my engineer?"

A coldness had crept into Votrek's voice, as he studied Morabi's face. He was impatient to begin his assault of the Kalli walls. Impatient to kill all who resisted him. Impatient to be crowned emperor and forge the Mesigan empire in his image. And he wanted to do this for a long time, generations coming and going while he ruled from his throne, youthful, healthy and all-powerful. 

"Remember sire, I'm drawing from memory. I'm working as fast as I can."

The King rested his hand on Morabi's shoulder and squeezed. To his credit, the former Chief Minister didn't flinch. Votrek had to hold in his smile. It was rare to find someone who his intimidation tactics didn't work on.

"I asked you a question. When will you finish?"

"Two weeks," Morabi said calmly.

"You have one," Votrek released him and turned away, looking over his camp. "I hope you're not stalling the inevitable sacking of your city. I like you. But sentimentality has never stopped me from killing."