VIII

"Somewhere between love and hate lies confusion, misunderstanding and desperate hope." Shannon L. Alder

----

VIII.

In the weeks that passed, the leaves began to change, and the last rays of summer began to fade away. Winter was inevitable, and there was a chill in the air already alerting every resident of Ashwood that it was coming.

With the coming cold season came confirmation that Adam's fiancée, Lady Sarah Ashley, and her mother, Lady Ashley, would be coming to stay at Ashwood House come early November.

Receiving this news after several weeks of actively avoiding a certain housemaid gave Adam purpose. He couldn't change what Grace had done, and she was certainly not going out of her way to mend any of the hurt between them, and so he needed to continue to move forward with his life.

Lady Sarah was a sweet girl, and the match pleased his parents. Anything that eased their displeasure was a good decision. It had taken Adam a long time, many, many years, in fact, to really understand his position in life. He was the heir to a vast fortune, an enormously rich estate, and a title that came with an immeasurable level of respect and honour. Not only was it his birthright, but it was his responsibilityto take pride in his future. With such an inheritance came the livelihoods of every family who lived upon his land.

"Well, that is the best news I have had all week," Cecily declared over breakfast, having stolen the note from Sarah out of Adam's hands, reading over the words excitedly. "Finally," she scoffed, "some society. But then," she continued, eyeing Jack, who was sitting at the other end of the table, his nose in a book as he absently crushed the remainder of his hard-boiled eggshell with the back of his spoon. "Did not we need some good news this week?"

Adam rolled his eyes. Susanna, who was sitting beside Cecily at the dining table, peered over their mother's shoulder at the letter. Her expression was neutral, if not reserved.

"Do not be coy, Mother," murmured Jack distastefully, not looking up from his book.

Adam pursed his lips as he looked upon his troubled younger brother with concern. Their father had officially written to the bishop this week, suspending all future plans for Jack's joining the church. Of course, it was long known within their household that Jack had no intention of writing sermons for the rest of his life, but it had not been set in stone until this week.

Jack was not meant to give sermons, nor was he ready to practise a Godly existence. Despite having made this decision, Adam was not entirely sure what else Jack coulddo with his life. He was a twenty-three-year-old young man who had never received a kind word from his parents. He was lost, and Adam knew that no matter what he said or did, Jack always felt like he didn't belong.

Now he would certainly need a rich wife to support him. He would need a good woman, the sort of woman to help him, to give him a purpose and a place where he felt valued and needed. He hoped those women would be one and the same.

Cecily hissed under her breath. "Do not test my patience, Jack," she snapped. "Were it not for the shame of having such a son out in society embarrassing us, I would not have you under my roof."

"That's quite enough, Mother," Adam said curtly, almost wincing on Jack's behalf, but Jack had already left the table, slamming the dining room door behind him. Adam glared across the table. "Has it ever crossed your mind that perhaps he might strive to the occasion if you but praised him once?" he demanded to know.

Cecily's eyes narrowed. "Do not you start," she hissed. "It is not yet ten in the morning." She shook the letter in her hand. "It is supposed to be a good day. There is to be a wedding, and a most agreeable match. I will not have your brother spoiling it because he cannot be controlled."