X

"Having not said anything the first time, it was somehow even more difficult to broach the subject the second time around." Douglas Adams, So Long, And Thanks for All the Fish

---- 

X.

"Is your sister happy to be married?" Susanna asked Grace curiously as she received a polishing cloth from Grace.

"Yes, very," replied Grace, nodding.

Grace was sitting in the servants' dining room with around four dozen sets of silverware. As Miss Naismith was safely above stairs practising some new hairstyles on the duchess, Susanna had taken it as her chance to come and visit with Grace again. The duchess' maid would be the only one to relay any information from downstairs. While the other servants would see it as highly odd that Lady Susanna Beresford would assist with household chores, Mrs Hayes was one to set them straight in going about their days.

It helped greatly that Mrs Hayes was so fond of the three Beresfords, and Grace, as well.

Over the last month, Susanna had often taken opportunities to seek Grace out, and Grace had been terribly grateful for it. As much as she might have felt like she was indulging Susanna in the beginning, she was a dear, sweet young lady, whose company Grace greatly enjoyed. She hadn't realised before now how few friends she really had. Ruby had been the first person that she had befriended outside of her own sisters in years. Counting Susanna as a friend was a real pleasure.

Susanna was curious about many things, and Grace did think that she had a bit of a romanticised view of Grace's life. Susanna saw Grace as independent. A woman of three and twenty, unmarried and earning an income. No matter how many times Grace tried to tell Susanna that they had very differing views of independence, she didn't seem to take notice.

Susanna was still very young in so many ways.

"And did you not mind that your younger sister married before you?" Susanna asked curiously as she picked up a knife and began to polish it.

"Lord, no," rebuked Grace. "I would never condemn my sister's happiness because of the order of our births."

"I am glad she is happy," Susanna said then, a smile on her face. "I remember both Kate and Claire from the schoolroom. I envied you three a lot. I always wanted a sister."

"You have two wonderful older brothers," Grace murmured softly, her voice breaking unwillingly as she spoke.

"Yes," Susanna agreed. "I do. It still has been a lonely existence for a long time," she admitted. "Both Adam and Jack were away at school for so long. Even now, they like to tuck themselves away."

Grace never liked to inquire, no matter how she might have wished to. If Susanna wanted to speak of specifics, Grace let her, but she never started it.

"Jack hides from Mother," Susanna continued, "as you know. I am sure you all hear the fighting down here. Jack finds windowsills to read from in the many forgotten corners of this house. And Adam," she emphasised, "has been with Papa in his study for weeks. Papa has decided it is time for him to learn the trade, I suppose."

"You are not going to clean the silverware by tickling it," Grace interjected, changing the subject. Grace showed her the pressure she would need to apply to make the silver shine properly.

Even though Grace never liked to bring up the subjects that she didn't want to talk about, being Susanna's friend meant that she ought to inquire about what Susanna wanted or needed to say.

Grace looked to her left and placed a comforting hand on Susanna's forearm. "Susanna," she said softly, calling her friend by her first name after weeks of insistence, "you need not ever feel lonely. I have never abandoned anyone that I care about, so I hope you know that you may always find comfort with me."