XVII

"It is a curious thing, the death of a loved one. We all know that our time in this world is limited, and that eventually all of us will end up underneath some sheet, never to wake up. And yet it is always a surprise when it happens to someone we know. It is like walking up the stairs to your bedroom in the dark, and thinking there is one more stair than there is. Your foot falls down, through the air, and there is a sickly moment of dark surprise as you try and readjust the way you thought of things." Lemony Snicket, Horseradish

---- 

XVII.

Adam heard Grace's words, her pleas. But he couldn't let her go. Not when they had only just found each other again.

He knew his mother would do whatever she could to keep them apart, only he hadn't imagined that she would have worked so quickly. At what hour must she have called upon Grace last night to give her this position?

Not for a second did Adam believe that Cecily had acted out of generosity. Grace had but confirmed it herself when she had revealed his mother's condition. He did not blame Grace for accepting, either.

Grace would have been eighteen years old when her father died. To learn to cope with grief at such an age, as well as having to find a way to provide for her family, was simply unimaginable. Lord, it made him angry that he had not been with her to help her.

She would not make a selfish decision. She would not choose him if it meant her family might suffer. As much as he wanted to take her by the hand and pull her towards what he wanted, Adam understood her hesitation.

Adam's heart ached as he looked upon her beautiful, tear stained face. Her brows knitting together as she vulnerably frowned, her pink lower lip trembling, her narrow shoulders shuddering as she tried to control what would be sobs.

Adam had loved Grace long before he had known what love was. Everyone knew, he was certain of it. He followed her around helplessly, potentially annoying her into being his friend. But once she had, there was no separating them. Not until the day he had left for school.

After all the years, even though he had been heartbroken, Adam had never forgotten Grace. As much as he might have wished otherwise, she was never far from his thoughts, and he wondered about her often. Having her back in his life the way there were now wasn't good enough. He needed more.

She was right when she said that they didn't really know each other as adults. Adam simply wanted the chance to get to know the lady she had grown up to be. The destination he was confident in. Somehow, sometime, she would be walking into church as his bride. But he looked forward to the journey there in the meantime.

"I am so sorry, Grace," Adam said sincerely. He took a chance and grabbed hold of one of her hands. She was shaking and he calmly opened her palm, slowly tracing the lines there. Her shaking slowed, and then stopped, as she watched his index finger intently.

"You haven't done anything wrong," whispered Grace. "You don't need to apologise. I feel like I am the one spoiling everything."

"You are not spoiling anything," he promised. His mother was the one to blame for that. "No, I am apologising for engaging myself to another." He watched as Grace bit down on her bottom lip. She did not look up at him but continued to watch her hand. "If only I had delayed ... just another summer," he uttered regretfully. "We would have come home, and I would have seen you, and there would not be such an added complication. I will end it, I promise you."

Grace gasped and snatched her hand away, her cornflower blue eyes returning to his, this time flared with panic. "No!" she cried. "Adam, your engagement is not what is stopping everything ..." she trailed off, and he could read on her face that she was having a bitter thought about it despite her words. Grace took a deep, calming breath. "Your mother told me that if I did not send you away when we spoke, that she would disinherit you," she revealed fearfully.