திருக்குறள் - ஈன்ற பொழுதின்

*After reading more than 3 hours at a stretch, Kavitha was tired. Its already 12 PM and she needs to wake up at 6, to attend the school at 8. After 7 hours of school and 1 hour special class, she will reach home by 5 PM. After some refreshment and entertainment, the tuition was at 6.30. Music tuition for an hour. She plays violin excellently and refused to give in when her mom wants to stop the class for an year as 12th std is supposed to the most important year of school education. Duh! Now she has to manage 2 things at a time*

*Padmini had disturbed sleep and while turning around, she noticed the lights still on in the hall. She checked the phone and it's 12*

"Innum Enna pannitu iruka Iva. Sayangaalama padicha koranja Po pora, vidiya vidiya padicha ippo yaar medal kuduka poranga. Odamba vera keduthutu"

*She opened the door slowly to not disturb the little one Kaarunya and Saambu sleeping soundly*

*In hall, Kavitha was busy in writing something*

"Ey, Ennadi panra innum"

"Padichitu iruken ma"

"Un puthagathula, 7 mani neram thookam mukkiyamnu podalaya"

"Ammmaaaa"

"School ah vittu vantha odane padika vendiyathu thaana"

"Appo homework Yaaru eluthuva"

"Appove homework eluthita, ippo Enna pannitu iruka"

"Amma padichitu iruken, en maa disturb panra"

"Night 12 Mani variakum padichu nee onnum panna porathu kedayathu, Vaa vanthu thoongu"

"15 minutes la varen Po"

"Ippo va nu sonnen"

"Amma please ma"

"Ippo nee state 1st vanthu aganumnu yaarum sollala"

"Amma poriya"

"Raa pagala padicha odambu ennathuku di agum"

"Onnum agathu, Po"

"🤨"

"Pooooo"

"Ennamo panni thola"

*Padmini left, lamenting continuously till she slept*

*12.30 AM*

"Ayoo, innum 6 page iruke, eluthi mudicha Oru mani Mela aidum polaye. Nalaiku padichikalama. Epdiyum test ku innum rendu naal iruku, nalaiku porumaya padikalame"

*She convinced herself to read tomorrow and closed the books. She arranged them in the bag and walked towards the room. When she held the door knob, she felt regretful*

"Half yearly exam ku innum 2 days thaan iruku, ippo intha subject eluthi paatha thaan nalaiku maths pottu paaka mudiyum.. Hmm"

"Intha varsham ellame 2nd rank thaan vangirukom, ithaan last exam, ithula achum first rank vangna evlo super ah irukum.. Amma chumma padikatha nu pechuku thaan solranga, Ana first rank vangna evlo santhosa paduvanga.. oorla iruka elarkitayum solli solli santhosa paduvanga.. Hnn.."

*She left the door knob and went back to her study table. She took the book from her bag and started writing again*

_______________________________________

This is a scene which happened sometimes in my life. I was a bright student and school topper most of the times. But I never read for myself. "Naan first rank vanganum" "Avaloda jasthi vanganum, ivaloda jasthi vanganum" nu never felt. It was always to make the parents proud. For them to feel that they needn't worry about me seperately when there are always something going on in their minds (like all other homes). Just for their mental peace.

_______________________________________

ஈன்ற பொழுதின் பெரிதுவக்கும் தன்மகனைச்
சான்றோன் எனக்கேட்ட தாய்

சிவயோகி சிவக்குமார் விளக்கம்:
பிறக்கும் பொழுது பெருமை கொண்ட தன் மகனை அறிவாளி என்று கேள்வி பட நினைப்பால் அன்னை.

Couplet Explanation:

The mother who hears her son called "a wise man" will rejoice more than she did at his birth

_______________________________________

This Kural is most of the times explained from the view of a mother. Most of the stories I have read around this Kural is how proud a mother is when her children are appreciated.

So wanted to present a story on how much a son/daughter can work to give that feeling to a mother.

சான்றோன் has a much wider meaning. Modified it a bit to suit the current gen :)