Chapter 1

Harry James Potter struggled to stay awake as a droning voice spun through his ears. "For your next project, you will be put into pairs," came the voice of Severus Snape, professor of Potions at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry. A stir went through the room as people started mouthing at their friends. Sensing their excitement, Professor Snape continued, "Whom I will be choosing for you." The room went quiet. Snape was notorious for his grouping skills; whether he meant to torture the students or not, somehow someone always got hurt.

Harry sighed. It hadn't happened yet, but somehow he knew who he would be grouped with.

"Starting off: Millicent Bulstrode and Vincent Crabbe, Theodore Nott and Gregory Goyle, Pansy Parkinson and Hermione Granger, Blaise Zabini and Ronald Weasley..." Snape went on until finally, "Draco Malfoy and..." He paused, almost smirking. "Harry Potter."

Harry heard Hermione sigh and Ron say "tough luck, mate." He felt himself flush with rage, and although he was unsurprised, he still wanted to hex Snape, or even better, slap him across the face, although he didn't want to get grease on his hand. He looked across the room to Malfoy, who was glaring at the chalkboard, his carefully structured cheekbones turning a light pink. His silver-grey eyes were unreadable, as always. Harry forced himself to look away.

Typical, he thought.