13

Spirit week had arrived at Riverdale High. And for the first time in years, the students had something to celebrate. The long-suffering Bulldogs, in large part thanks to breakout star Munroe Morre, were finally going to the state finals where they would take on the undisputed titans of the gridiron, the Stonewall Stallions.
For Principal Honey, who commissioned an article about the game from ace reporter Betty Cooper, the championship was, at last, something positive to promote. But for Riverdale's star QB, Archie Andrews, the Spirit Week was special for a different reason. It would be the last of his career.

Milkshakes at Pop's, with a burger. We were in our usual booth and I couldn't help but feel nostalgic, remembering reconnecting with Jughead years ago, starting our path to our relationship. Both Jughead and I had eaten our fair share of burgers and drank the entire menu of milkshakes, but today felt different.
"You haven't touched your chilli fries, you okay?" He asked me. There had been something off about him since we sat down, but I had chosen to ignore it thus far. Usually, the fries were the first thing to go when our orders came, however today, I had barely touched them and Jughead was drawing them in ketchup for five minutes before eating. What was worse, was that he was eating one at a time, not his usual handful.
"I don't know, I think I'm just not that hungry. Maybe I'm coming down with something," I offered, and he seemed to accept my response. So, he returned to his incessant dipping.

"Jug, you've been dipping that fry in ketchup for five minutes. What's going on?" I asked him, and he let out a big sigh, looking around Pop's first before settling on me, a sullen look on his face.
"I have an interview with a college recruiter." He announced and I was quick to smile and send him my congratulations. Although, J didn't match my enthusiasm, so he continued, telling me where it was. Yale.

Straight away I knew why he was upset. Not only was that Betty's dream school, and he would have to suffer the heartbreak of telling his best friend that he had a great possibility of getting in, but also if he did get in, we would be at opposite ends of the country.
"I hope that's okay." Jughead said, and I took his hand from across the table. The furthest apart we had been was a few miles when he and Archie went trekking across the country to outrun Hiram. Other than tha, we had lived together for nearly three years. Even at Stonewall, we called every night, we saw each other throughout the week and on the weekends. That wouldn't happen when we were states apart.
"Well, I would never ask you to turn down an opportunity like that. It's life-changing. It could set up our future," I told him, honestly. I would miss him like crazy, crave the holidays so I could see him. But, I would never ask him to overlook Yale. "So you, Mr Jones, will go and ace that interview."
"Whatever happens, we'll work it out." He promised and I knew that was true. I had to strap on my heels and tie up my hair and be the true Andrews woman I knew I could be, independent and successful and compassionate.

By the time the big football game came around I was eager to see Jughead again. However, there was something my dear sister had asked of me before I ran onto the field in my vixen uniform. Although not a full time member, Cheryl made sure I was ready to step in at a moment's notice. And since the coach was conveniently locked in her office with the key that was safely concealed in the nearby trash can, there was an open spot. Sweet Pea and Fangs had taught me how to 'borrow' well.

The coach, it seemed, was still trying to live her high school life as the top bitch and hottest girl, something both my sister and I couldn't have. So, after avoiding all the vixen drama all week, I was their secret weapon. This led to my sister and I strutting onto the field in our vixen uniforms, hair half up and half down, blossom red lipstick painting our lips. I missed moments like this with my sister.
"Listen up, bitches!" I called as we approached the vixens. Toni and Veronica stood on either side of us, holding the blue and yellow pom poms to match our team's colours. All the Vixens turned to us and Cheryl took over, addressing her squad.