14

Winter had come to Riverdale, and everyone was suffering from an acute case of Quiz Show fever. No one more so than Betty Cooper, who was pouring her considerable energies into beating the tar out of Stonewall Prep's team, led by-- Wouldn't you know it? Bret Weston Wallis. The only person immune to Quiz Show fever? My pal, Archie Andrews, who was feeling a lot less lonely these days.

And I suppose in some ways, my girl Cynthia was doing alright for herself as well.

The tie on the door. How I loved the respectable code of dorm rooms. One tie and Jughead was all mine without anyone disturbing us. One tie and for that space of time he was all mine, mind, body and soul.

I lay on his chest, listening to his heart rate slowing and knowing mine was probably racing the same way. I curled my body closer to his as he pulled me closer.
"Thank God for Bret's morning workouts." He grinned, facing the ceiling and praising the God above.
"Please don't mention that pig right now," I laughed, running my hand up and down his toned chest, feeling a shudder pass over his body as I did so. His hand found its way into my hair as he told me he loved to get me all wound up. Gently, his hand brushed the hair back from my face as I closed my eyes in pure bliss.

I felt him smiling down at me, so, without opening my eyes, I asked him why he was smiling.
"Just everything. You're here, I turned in my draft for the Baxter Brothers book. And Yale said--" He trailed off at the end, as if he hadn't meant to say what he had said. I pushed myself off his chest to look at him, seeing his once happy face was now frowning.
"What did Yale say?" I asked him, brushing my hand through his hair. He looked at me, then looked away, a very guilty look on his face. "Did you get into Yale and not tell me?" Jug forced a smile as he looked at me, his hand cupping my cheek.
"Yeah, I think I did." I smiled straight away.

"I'm proud of you, Jug. I'll miss you so much when you're away," I admitted, looking down slightly. Jughead then took my head in his hands and brought me closer to him.
"Then we'll have to make the most of this," He grinned, pulling my lips to meet his. One tie on the door and Jughead was mine. Maybe dorm rooms aren't too bad.

After a heartfelt goodbye to Jughead, who was now sitting at his desk typing away before his classes began, I made my way out of the room towards my car. Something told me that dear Mr Honey wouldn't take well to me being late because I went to see Jughead. I flicked my hair over my shoulder and listened to the satisfying click of my heals as I made my way towards the exit.

"Oh, you two are finally done. I thought I'd be late to class. Although I suppose if I had you I wouldn't want to be quick about it," The irritating voice of Bret jested as he walked into my shoulder. I stopped, rolling my eyes and trying to decide whether a court case for assault was worth me beating him in the halls of Stonewall.
"Let's not have a repeat of last week, Bret." I said, beginning to walk away again, only to be stopped.
"Oh, I guess I'll see you in New Haven next year. As a visitor, of course, they wouldn't let someone like you in," I closed my eyes, taking a calming breath in because suddenly that court case that would come my way didn't seem to bother me too much. I could picture his face now littered in bruises and maybe a split lip as well. At least I couldn't make him look worse.
"You bought your way into Yale?" I questioned.
"Yeah. And don't worry yourself Queenie, I'll try to keep the coeds away from Forsythe. No promises though."

Finally done with the conversation, I turned to walk away, listening to Bret call after me. Something about wishing Betty luck in the Quiz Show finals if she were lucky enough to get there. Although not a part of her quiz team, I did hope that Betty obliterated the opposing team, and did so in style because I was sick of Bret already.

It was only the next day when Betty cornered me, extremely hurt and upset and about ready to drag me to Stonewall to talk to Jughead. I was putting away my books and getting ready to head to the student lounge with a book and read away my free period with a Baxter Brothers book that I had borrowed from Jughead.