23

Lynchian:

Adjective to describe something inspired by the noted American filmmaker, David Lynch.

And/Or

To describe something that is both incredibly macabre and incredibly mundane.

Also, Riverdale's status quo, reaching new depths of perversion with the discovery of a videotape in which someone wearing a mask of me is bludgeoned to death by someone wearing the mask of Betty, before that same murderer goes and takes a child from the arms of someone wearing a mask of my girlfriend, before murdering her and supposedly the child.

I had waited a week before showing it to Charles, my dad, and the Coopers, along with Thia. After the Voyeur had stopped all videos after this one, I couldn't shake the feeling that something was waiting. And, as Thia was getting further into her pregnancy, I could risk her or our child any longer. So, I waited until the risk of miscarriage was reduced, she was far enough along now for that not to be the primary concern, and held her tight as I played the tape. She stopped watching after the baby was taken from 'her' arms.

It had been agreed that Betty and I weren't to be sucked into this mystery. Betty, because she didn't want to, and me, because I was pregnant. I don't know when being pregnant constituted me being completely incapable, but I knew where Jug was coming from. That tape wasn't just a step up, but also a step too far.

I had decided to visit my brother. With everything going on, I felt like we were long overdue some sibling bonding time. So, I knocked on the door and his mom pointed me in the direction of the garage. From outside I heard the soft strum of the guitar, some melody that he was clearly working on and I nearly left. Because, standing outside, I felt like I was invading something private, I was hearing something that I wasn't meant to hear. But, just as I was about to turn, I could have sworn I felt a push to go inside, and the wind whispered that my brother needed me. It was clear who was responsible.

"That sounds amazing," I began, making my presence known to Archie, who quickly shut his notebook and put his guitar down. From his slightly panicked look, I knew he had hoped and suspected to be left alone. "Who's it for?"

I watched with a raised eyebrow as his mouth opened and closed as he tried to work out the correct answer to give. Instead I held my hands up, accepting that he really didn't want to tell me, and me half knowing who it was.

"Look you don't have to tell me, but from that response I know it isn't Veronica." I offered. I watched as Archie just sat back on his stool, his guitar lying beside him on the floor as my brother sighed loudly. He knew I had caught him in the act, but that I would never make him tell me anything.
"It's not for Ronnie," He whispered. I moved to sit across from him, feeling the pressure that he was putting on himself. Just like our father, Archie would do whatever hurt the least, or caused the least pain rather than what he wanted to do. He would find a way to do what was right by everyone.

"I think it's best you don't show her that notebook," If he had shut it that quickly for me, then it would only raise her suspicions and my brother was far too good to lie to her face. The song was beautiful, the lyrics soft. Archie looked to me and I could see his need, his need to be told what to do so he could relinquish some of the blame. He needed someone to tell him that he wasn't bad for loving someone else.

"What do I do? Ronnie's done nothing wrong, but..." He couldn't bring himself to say about the other person, as if actually saying out loud to another person would make everything suddenly real. "I can't just ignore how I'm feeling."

I reached out to his hand, holding it in mine and making him look at me. I made sure he saw the no judgement held in my eyes, and the slight smile that I sent his way, because I didn't blame him. Veronica hadn't done anything wrong, but this feeling was real and noble Archie wouldn't just fall for anyone. Only someone he had admired for years could do this to him. And that was why I knew exactly who it was without having to say anything.