Chapter 3

"Hmm. There's a hole in the wall tavern a few miles from where we are called Johnny's. Drop me off there," I instructed the cab driver.

"I know the place." He nodded.

I knew I was being followed from the shoot. I had been watching the vehicle in all the cab's rearview mirrors. What was strange was the cabbie didn't seem to notice. I had told him to stop at a public place on purpose so I could see what the man who was following me would try to do. He might do nothing, he might do something. I had no idea, but I was going to find out, and I was going to use Merle to do it with his permission.

I texted him and asked him if he was at Johnny's. I figured he was. It was Saturday night. He was always there on the weekend.

-Hey you at Johnny's

Merle answered immediately.

-Yeah. Come on down if you want

I explained the situation, told him what the man looked like, and that I wanted him to act like my Sugar Daddy.

-Think I might have a problem. Got some dude following me in a silver Volvo. Light hair, dark clothing, glasses. Need a favor. Will you act like my Sugar Daddy? I want to scope this asshole out.

Merle was all for it.

-Fuck yeah! I'm in! How far away are you? I'll wait out front.

I told him I'd be there in 5 minutes and to pay for the cab, and that I'd pay him back when we got inside.

-Nope. You're not paying! ;P

That was Merle's reply. I rolled my eyes, smiling. Stubborn bastard. He probably wouldn't let me pay for my own drinks either. He never let me pay for shit when I was in public with him. He'd always been that way.

"Goin' ta meet a guy?" the cabbie asked. He was looking at me in the rearview mirror.

"Yeah, my Sugar Daddy. How'd ya know?" I grinned, deciding to play along in case the man who was following me tried to get information from him somehow, or maybe he was somehow involved. I wasn't taking the chance.

"The look on yer face and the sparkle in yer eye," he said like it was obvious.

"I'm very fond of 'im. I've known 'im all my life." I giggled. That part wasn't a lie. I was extremely fond of Merle in the most serious of ways.

"I can tell. He must like you, too. He answered yer texts right away." The cabbie chuckled.

"Oh, there he is." I pointed at Merle as we pulled into the tavern. "Button down shirt, wife beater."

Merle was standing right out front just like he had said, with that strange twinkle in his eyes that he always had, and a brilliant smile. He looked really handsome, as usual. I always thought he looked handsome. He had on his regular attire, the wife beater, unbuttoned over shirt and jeans. I was a little bummed that I couldn't see his toned arms and shoulders.

"Wow. You weren't kiddin' when ya said Sugar Daddy. That guy's like twice yer age. His hair is completely grey." The cabbie found me amusing.

"I know. Shud'dup. Merle's hot." I giggled in response.

"Wait." He paused while he stopped the cab. "Woah! Hold the phone! Merle Dixon?! I've picked him up a million times! That guy's bad news! He's involved in some serious shit!"

"Must be one o' the reasons why I like 'im so much. You know, the whole biker/bad boy thing." I winked at him in the rearview mirror. "Merle's got the ducketts, dude." I smiled at Merle uncontrollably as he opened my door. "Hi!"