chapter 14

AHMAD'S POINT OF VIEW

So I was at the mosque when I was called by Mr. Farhan. He told me to sit down so he could talk to me. I did as he said. He said

"Have you thought about marriage?"

Mr. Farhan was the Imam of the mosque and we usually talked about Islam and other issues. He also helped me if I had any problem in understanding anything in my Arabic homework. He was the husband of Miss Amna. He was like a friend.

"yeah I have thought about marriage. My course is going to end after two weeks and I will be marrying after that Insha'Allah. "I replied.

I don't know why he was talking to me about marriage suddenly.

"I want to talk to you about something important and want you to consider this. "He said looking serious.

"Go ahead. I am listening. "I replied. I made my self-ready for what was coming.

"I have a proposal for you. "He said.

"What? who is it from? "I was surprised.

I had never thought that people even notice me. And now I had a PROPOSEL. Who would that be? I was really curious to know.

"Yes. You have a proposal. It's Miss Aisha. She said to my wife that she was thinking about marriage as it is a difficult time for her and she wanted someone by her side." he told me.

"Do I know her? "I did not know any Aisha that I have met.

"She said that she met you at an engagement. You might know her by the name Caroline. "He said.

WHAT? Miss Caroline? she wants to marry me?

"ohh... yeah I remember her. "I told him.

"So what do you say. "He looked at me waiting for an answer.

"I want some time to think about this." I replied.

I was really confused about the whole situation. I needed some time to take it in and I also wanted to talk to her once maybe.

"Here. You can have her number and if you want to meet her then we will arrange it for you in the mosque in our presence." He handed me a piece of paper.

I was still in shock. Why would she want to marry me? she had only met me twice. And we did not have a real conversation.

"ok. JazakAllah (may Allah reward you)."I replied.

"Waiyaki (same to you) "He replied.

I left the mosque after that.

I went home and thought about marriage. I had been thinking about it for about a month now. But I had not thought of anyone specifically. I knew if I would marry Aisha it would be helpful for her. And I wanted to help her through this. A little that Umar had told me about her, I thought she was a good lady. It seemed like she had a close relation with Allah because Umar had told me once that he had seen her crying outside the mosque. But I still wanted to talk to her once.

I called Mr. Farhan the next day. I told him that I wanted to meet her and that he can tell her that through his Miss Amna. He told me that he would talk to her and tell me at night.

I came back from my Arabic class in the evening. I did a little cooking and then went to the mosque for isha.

After the namaz Mr. Farhan came to me and told me that they have arranged a meeting and I should come to the mosque at 10 in the morning.