Part 5

[Austen's POV]

[Red]: "Rhodes Island Pharmaceuticals Inc. is a registered drug R&D company working on medical solutions for countries, organizations, and individuals infected with Oripathy. To achieve their goal, Rhodes Island recruits talent from all around the world, regardless of background, experience, or condition. Furthermore, Rhodes Island is committed to providing the best medical and living conditions for its employees, attracting movers and shakers — Infected or not — to try to change the world."*

You've already said that.

[Red]: "Our motto is 'May I enjoy my life and practice my art. Respected by all men and in all times.'* It is an excerpt from the Hippocratic Oath. It symbolizes our cause and what we hope for everyone.

That's pretty cool I guess.

[Red]: "Rhodes Island dedicated themselves to developing treatments, and possible cure, to Oripathy which plagued Terra since the advent of the Catastrophes. However, they also have to deal with the problems associated with it, such as social discrimination to the Infected, which is why R.I. possessed a paramilitary branch to provide security for their personnel and patients, as well as providing combat support should the need arise."*

Yeah, good for you.

[Red]: "The R.I. accepts the Infected regardless of their age, combat experience, and background with open arms; those who cannot afford R.I.'s treatment can do whatever they could to benefit R.I. under the tutelage of their personnel – including making paper flowers for parties. Heheh."*

Haha that's funny.

[Red]: "And so blah blah blah... because... that's why... blah blah..."

I don't care about this stuff. When will this be over? I just want to go on our date. Oh, and I have to say no to joining Rhodes Island... hmmm... I'll wait until after she's done. It needs to be as if I took everything into consideration so I have an excuse for saying no instead of a flat out refusal.

[15 minutes later]

[Red]: "That would conclude the main things we have to go over. Once you get on the Ark, someone will further brief you. That is if you join."

I'm not. Sorry.

[Red]: "Now I'm done explaining everything you need to know, feel free to look over these articles. You can also fill out the registration whenever you feel ready."

[Austen]: "Oh, alright."

Wait, do I tell her outright that I'm not joining? I should take a look anyway.

I took the form and looked over it, but just then-

[Red]: *yawwwn*

Red's body slumps sideways onto me and her head rests on my shoulders. Her eyes are closed and her breathing is steady. My face suddenly gets red. Burning red.

Am I allowed to touch her? Does touching her while she's asleep count as rape?

I decided to just not think about it. Going back to reading the form, one look at it shows that joining R.I. is like enlisting in the tenants union of my apartment building. It is very straightforward, you just need to put down your name, reason for joining, and personal information. You also can include your infection records, but I think that's optional. Deciding I have nothing to do with the paper, I start to move to put away the form. Suddenly, Red's head slipped off my shoulder and landed on my lap. Strangely, she didn't wake up from that impact.

But now I can't move.

Well, now what? When is she going to get up? Why is she so cute?

I can't help but stare at her cute sleeping face. My hand unconsciously started petting her head and touching her ears before I realized it. Running my hands through her beautiful, soft hair

Her hair is so silky and her ears are so fluffy... Today was such a good day. I got to pamper not one but three girls if I include Bethany at the beginning. Life can't get better than this.

She doesn't seem to be waking up so I might as well keep doing this until she wakes up.

[30 minutes later]

Red suddenly opens her eyes and before I could stop moving my hands. She got up from my lap and looked at me with a scowl.

[Red]: "Sorry, I fell asleep. What are you doing?"

Her tone carried iciness, different from the innocent voice she used before. She also didn't sound tired from waking up from a nap...

[Austen]: "I-I'm sorry! Honestly! I went too far... I'm not like this, I honestly don't know what came over me!"

That's a lie. I knew exactly what I was doing.

[Red]: "Yeah, whatever. Have you at least filled out the form."

[Austen]: "Well, n-no, not really."

[Red]: "YOU STILL- *ahem* I suggest you fill it out now then."

Wow. I didn't expect her to have such a loud voice. What happened to not being able to speak up?

[Austen]: "The thing is... I don't think I'm going to join Rhodes Island..."

[Red]: "YOU'VE GOT TO BE JOKING. I put myself through that... torture! And for what? NOTHING! Dr. Kal'tsit told me it was going to be an easy mission!"

[Austen]: "Wha-"

[Red]: "I had to keep up that gross facade for a rotten man like you for a whole hour! You know what? I'm actually glad you aren't joining Rhodes Island 'cause we don't need people like you. We have plenty of doctors that are much better than you. I'm outta here."

She packs up her things and walks towards the door. Just as she is about to leave, I called after her:

[Austen]: "Wait! What about our date?"

She ignored me and slammed the door close.

Sighh... It was worth a try. That's that then.

---------------------------------------

*https://mrfz.fandom.com/wiki/Rhodes_Island