The Test of Lust...

Narrator's POV

The following morning, Ciel and the other contestants were in the throne room.

Sitting on his throne, was Lucifer.

"There will be six challenges, each one will test a different skill and will result in one of you being eliminated until only one remains." The King of Hell informed, "The first challenge is lust. I will not be testing you by your sexual prowess or conquests, I will just ask a simple question. I will call you into my office one by one."

The devil lead the seven candidates towards a hallway close to the throne room where six chairs sat outside a door.

"Ryuu, come in first." Lucifer requested, said demon following him in

Ciel sat in the chair closest to the office like a naughty child waiting to be called into the principal's office.

He didn't have to wait long as he was the second demon called in.

Lucifer gestured to the seat across from him, waiting until Ciel sat to ask, "Imagine you are standing across the street from a church mid-mass, what is your first thought?"

That surprised the young demon, he had assumed that the question would be carnal in nature.

But then again, lust came in many forms, not just lust of the flesh, but bloodlust as well.

Ciel closed his heterochromatic eyes and imagined the churches of his youth: the enormous gothic buildings made of stone, the large stained glass windows and grand archways with biblical scenes carved into them.

He imagined the stones of the roofs slowly crumbling a bit year by year under the heavy weight until it finally gave in.

Ciel smiled as he imagined the roof falling mid-prayer, killing every last human worshiper.

The young demon opened his eyes, "I wish to see it collapse."

***

After all of the seven were questioned, Lucifer came out of the office.

"While the question I asked each of you was more of a personality test than a proper question, it was very informative in telling me each of your natures." Lucifer answered, "One of you gave me a boring answer, four of you mediocre answers, one of you a decent answer and one of you gave me a perfect answer."

The magenta-eyed fallen angel turned towards the pride demon, "And you, Ciel, gave the best answer; watching it collapse would be the best thing to happen to a church."

He then turned to the sloth demon staring back, "And you, Briony, gave the worst answer. While replacing all of the Bibles with satanic ones is funny, it is not satisfying enough to be considered a desire."

Lucifer snapped his fingers, instantly killing the losing demon, then, like nothing had happened, he said, "In case any of you were curious, Sirvart gave the second best answer: manipulating the pastor into becoming a willing slave would be quite amusing. The only reason seeing it collapse is superior is that it's ironic, you wouldn't be causing the demise —literally or morally— of the believers, God would. Anyways, the rest of you just wanted to cause a massacre, there's no art in that —no design. Since Ciel won, his reward is to have some personal time with me. So, Ciel, come with me and the rest of you are free for the rest of the day."

The six remaining contestants quickly did as told, leaving the corpse behind.

Within a few minutes, Ciel was sat at a small table in the center of the lavish gardens behind the palace.

Lucifer pouted himself and Ciel a glass of wine, "It's a 2010 Mailly L'Intemporelle Rosé Grand Cru to go to with some strawberry shortcake."

Ciel thanked him politely and had a sip of the wine: it tasted slightly of pear and raspberries which paired wonderfully with the dessert.

After a few minutes of pleasant silence, the Devil asked, "Tell me about yourself."

"There's not much to tell." Ciel shrugged, "I'm not that interesting, I'm afraid."

Lucifer chuckled, "I'm two hundred thousand years old and I'm yet to meet someone truly boring, share anything about yourself."

"Well, I'm going to be a hundred and forty-five come December and I 'celebrated' my hundred and thirty-first anniversary of becoming a demon in August." Ciel offered

The fallen angel did the math in his head, "You were thirteen when you were turned?"

"Yes." Ciel answered, "It was quite a unique circumstance regarding my turning but simply: five demons fought to the death for the chance to eat my soul, the one I was contracted to killed all but one and before he could kill her she pulled a 'if I can't have it no one can' and turned me."

The black-haired demon asked, "And I assume you are still technically contracted to that demon?"

"Yes, he's my mate now. He was very cross with me for the first half-decade but he got over it; apparently I'm enjoyable to travel with." Ciel clarified, "When will we be meeting the Queen?"

"Lilith is very busy running the kingdom while I host the competition." Lucifer answered

Ciel nodded, then enjoying a bite of the dessert, "This is very delicious, is it magically made?"

"No, I made it actually." The other male replied

Ciel was surprised by that, most demons turned their nose at the idea of doing something magic could do for them, "So you enjoy cooking?"

Lucifer shook his head, "No, I'm a novice, I don't really eat human substance often. This was simple enough to prepare for our chat."

After a few minutes more of pleasant silence, Lucifer broke it by speaking his thoughts, "You're different."

One of Ciel's navy blue eyebrows rose, "How so?"

"I imagined the winner of the first test would be bombarding me with questions about future challenges and how to win." Lucifer explained

The pride demon shrugged, "I contemplated asking such questions but I figured you wouldn't want to spoil the surprise. After all, if we knew the challenges then we can prepare for them and that wouldn't be any fun."

Lucifer placed his elbows on the table, Resting his chin on his hands, his smirk hidden by his hands: finally someone who understood the games.

Ciel continued, "It's a sentiment I understand; I love games and the harder it is to beat, the more satisfying the win is. In my human life I owned a cosmetic, confectionary and toy company that made custom games —well technically I still own the company but legally it belongs to my first cousin six times removed— but I designed all of the games."...