The Test of Gluttony...

Narrator's POV

The second test began the next day.

Unfortunately for Ciel, he was still human and would remain so until midnight.

Which meant any task where demonic ability was needed would likely end with failure.

***

An hour or so later, Lucifer led the six remaining competitors into a room holding six humans.

The first human was a white male with red hair and was wearing a disheveled navy blue suit.

The second was a Asian woman with grey hair who was wearing a green sweater and jeans.

The third was a goth white woman that looked to be in her mid-twenties.

The fourth was a man of African descent that seemed to be in his early-thirties who a scarlet button-up shirt and black slacks.

The fifth was a middle eastern woman who wore a pink sweater, light washed jeans and a blue headscarf.

The final human was another white male but he was in a plaid flannel and jean overalls.

"Which of them have the best soul?"

Ciel examines each of the humans before him.

If he was still a demon, he could easily smell the souls and determine their quality but since he was human today he couldn't.

So, he would need to work smarter and determine the souls by sight alone.

"Lycus, you go first." Lucifer said after giving them a few minutes to think

The gluttony demon of African descent pointed to the man in flannel, "I believe his soul is the best. He reeks of struggle and hard work from his life as a farmer. But there is a darkness to him as he takes out his stress in his wife."

Lucifer hummed slightly in approval, "What do you think, Anake?"

The pale greed demon pointed to the Asian woman, "She has the best soul. The majority of her soul is rather bland, but the taste of her grief and desperation from being a mail-order bride gives her a sort of umami flavor. There's even a little kick of darkness from when she murdered her husband."

Like before, Lucifer have a hum and moved on, "And your opinion, Ryuu?"

The Asian wrath demon looked at the goth, "Her soul is bitter and angry, she feels betrayed and vengeful: I am practically drooling. "

"Cadmus, what about you?" Lucifer asked

Pointing at the red head human, the middle eastern envy demon said, "I like this one, his soul is delightfully wicked. He has killed several times, committed hundreds of crimes and found relish in the act."

Lucifer then turned to the lust demon, "You opinion, Sirvart?"

The blonde demon pointed to the middle eastern woman, "Her soul is pure, there is no better taste than the sweetness of innocence."

"And finally, what do you think, Ciel?" Lucifer asked, turning to the blunette

Ciel bit his bottom lip, "I think this is a trick question. The title of 'best' soul is subjective as the flavor of any particular soul can be amazing to one demon and be mediocre to another."

"You're winning two for two, good job." The Devil congratulated with a chuckle, "The rest of you need to step up your game, think with your heads instead of your bellies."

The fallen angel then tapped his chin, "Now, how to determine the loser. Technically, all of you —sans Ciel— are you for elimination."

The other five contestants were nervous.

"I suppose it's down to a matter of personal preference, then, whoever chose the soul I find boring." Lucifer decoded, turning to Cadmus, "And by choosing the most wicked soul you showed how basic your taste is."

Within seconds, Lucifer snapped and Cadmus exploded into chunks of flesh and bone.

Six was now down to five.

***

Like before, Ciel's prize was a private conversation with the Devil.

Unlike before where they had talked in the garden, this time they walked into the forest and sat in front of a waterfall.

"What's in your mind?" The magenta-eyed male asked

Ciel gave a small chuckle, "I can't help but wonder who you desire to win but I'm almost afraid to know."

Lucifer also chuckled, "I can't tell you that, but if it's any consolation I can assure you that you're not my least favorite."

"Who would that be?" Ciel asked, the beginnings of a smile hinted on his face

The other male gave another brief chuckle, "I'm afraid I can't tell you that either."

"Oh fine." Ciel sighed, "Look at me."

Lucifer did as asked, making eye contact with the bluenette.

"Blink three times rapidly if its Anake." Ciel requested

The fallen angel didn't blink.

"Ok, do it if it's Ryuu."

Once again, Lucifer didn't blink.

"Is it Lycus?"

Still no blink from the Devil.

"What about Sirvart?"

There was the three blinks.

"So you don't like Sirvart?" Ciel asked, "Why?"

"Yesterday she invited herself into the office nude, she attempted to seduce me into giving her hints for the remaining challenges." Lucifer informed

"And she somehow thought that'd work?"

"I thought it rather suicidal." Lucifer shrugged

"That's also true, why would you let her go unpunished?" Ciel questioned

Lucifer gave a wicked grin, "Oh I punished her, her back will be permanently scarred from the slashes of my corseque."

"She deserves it after a stunt like that. Honestly, I'm glad to be here; even if I do not win the title of prince, it would be idiotic of me to not value your wisdom." Ciel replied

That suprised the devil, "You value my knowledge?"

"Of course, I would not squander the once-in-a-lifetime chance to study at your feet." Ciel countered, "Anyone with half a mind should know what an honor it would be to even have a tiny glimpse into the library within your brain."

"I'd be happy to teach you." Lucifer smiled, "Though it would be rather unfair of me to give you an advantage above the others."

Ciel shrugged, "I suppose. Personally I believe equality is a lie to appease the masses; there can be no strong without the weak, no elite without the common."

"You are right, but I still have no desire to cause a riot." Lucifer admitted

Ciel raised an eyebrow, "You are the King, if they dare defy you remind them who is in charge."