Epilogue|Uninvited

"I want to get married."

When Dream had first said it, George had frozen up in shock. Yes, they were both over twenty, and yes, they had been together for a year now, but it still felt like.. a lot.

Dream was old school. George didn't realize this until he was with him, as in with him with him. The boy was a sappy romantic, and George loved that about him.

George twisted the ring on his finger. It was just a promise ring, but Dream had really meant something when he gave it to him, so George treasured it more than anything else he owned.

It was a silver band with a small, beautifully cut emerald. George smiled as he admired it for the fifth time that day.

In a week, they were going to be married.

George couldn't help the grin that spread across his cheeks. He couldn't wait.

He had to admit that when he first heard it, fear had sparked through him. Dream must have been able to tell; fear is sorta his thing, after all. The man had rushed to comfort him, not being pushy about it at all. He had just cuddled up with George to watch a movie that night after asking him to 'think about it a little while longer'.

That had been a month ago. In the end, George had been the one to propose.

It was a beautiful night, the sun just near rising. George had brought Dream to the cliff he had confessed his love on, and the sunrise was just over the horizon when he had gotten on one knee, asking the big question.

It was the first time George had seen Dream cry.

That night George gave Dream a golden ring with a beautiful blue sapphire embedded in it. Dream had given him the ring he had also planned on proposing with that night.

"I can't believe you got to it before I mustered up the courage." Dream had laughed about it with him, and George had never been happier at that moment.

George stopped fiddling with the ring as Dream came back from the room he had been in, a lot of stuff George could never name bundled in his arms.

George can still remember when he saw Dream's soul for the first time. It was beautiful to him, and since then he had sometimes gotten dreams about reaching out and touching it; holding Dream in his most pure form. He always woke up with Dream in his arms and a question on his tongue that he was always too afraid to ask.

But Dream had somehow beat him to it, in the end.

"There's a ritual that demons have before marriage." Dream had told him, and George had laughed and made a quip about sacrificing a goat, which made Dream's nose scrunch up a bit. George had decided then that he was being serious.

"I wasn't sure if it would work on a human for a long time. It... It's about the soul. As you know, human beings can't summon their soul from their body as we can. But... I found a spell." George had been a bit iffy about it; a spell that no one would have used for centuries, and Dream was just trusting it?

"George, you know if it wasn't safe, I would never even have told you about it. You know I care about you way too much for that." Dream had reassured, grabbing George's hands and squeezing them gently.

That brings them to where they are now, with Dream making a circle out of a dark, thick purple liquid and burning sage. After a lot more of Dream doing stuff with things George couldn't name, Dream called him over.

"You need to stand right in the center." Dream told him, and George swallowed nervously. Dream smiled at him reassuringly, motioning to the circle on the floor.