Right Damn Now-Jack

"You sure this is a good idea?" Davey asks as we slowly walk the stairs to a certain someone's office.

"Yeah. We need Kath to make this work. And besides, he told me I had a good head on my shoulders." I say.

"Did he ever tell you that you have a big head on your shoulders?" Spot mumbles from next to me.

Davey and Esther snicker at Spot's remark. Les goes to ring the doorbell but Davey stops him.

"Let me do it." He goes. He pokes it.

No sound.

He pokes it again.

Still no sound.

Davey, getting impatient, pressed it multiple times, but still no sound.

"This doorbell must be broken." He says, crossing his arms.

"The doorbell is not broken. You only hear it from the inside."

We all turn to see Pulitzer himself behind us.

Davey's face is bright red, just now realizing how many times he pressed that doorbell. Les laughs out loud at Davey's expression but a stare from Pulitzer shut him up.

No one dared to speak.

Because right then and there, it occurred to us we had no plan of what we would say.

My sister, being the brave person she is, took the reigns. 

"Hello there. Sorry about the disturbance with the doorbell. We would like to see your daughter. Katherine could help us immensely. We are looking for a missing person. One of your hardest working employees, actually, and we were thinking she could write a missing person ad in the paper. We would start with the Sun because that's where she works. Then move to the other papers and billboards. Maybe she could put it in the paper for the World too!"

Davey nodded, taking it all in. Spot smiled a bit. I did too. From the moment I met Esther on the Refuge steps, I could tell she was different. And she was. She's funny, beautiful, kind, and bold. It takes a very brave someone to give Oscar Delancey a chance to be good, let alone date him. I was skeptical and furious first but he was good to her and was nice to all of us. Morris was arrested, thank god, so we have had no Delancey troubke for a very long time.

If I'm going to be honest, I miss the action. Even Morris's stupid face.

My smile grew even bigger as Pulitzer agrees.

"Jack Kelly, come here."

I make it to the door and I hesitate before entering.

Katherine is sitting on one of the comfy chairs, writing furiously on a piece of paper.

"Father, how does this sound? After the chandelier fiasco at the theater, the stage is now bouncing back from repairs. Theatergoers and other citizens are anxious to get back to...JACK!"

She runs and gives me a huge hug. I lightly kiss her on the cheek.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Spot watching us. I feel guilty, thinking of Race, and how he probably did something like that with him.

She pulls away. "What do you need?"

"Help." I answer. "Lots of help. Could you maybe write a missing person's ad in the paper?"

Her face falls a little. "Who?"

"Race."

Her face has now fallen almost completely, then turns to one of determination. "Of course."

I see Spot again. He is smiling again. We all are. He rubs his eye and Esther puts her arm around him. Les even does a little thumbs up. He smiles even bigger when I nod slightly, telling them the good news. Les smiles even bigger, revealing a gap where lost his two front teeth. Davey nods approvingly.

Somehow, somewhere, someday, we are going to find him.

I made two musical theater references.  Could you catch them both? Comment those two musicals. So, some things before we go on.

One, thank you. This story has been given so much love and it's only been out for I'm guessing a week? I love reading your comments and it always makes me smile.

Two, I may not have all the newsies be included in this. Of course, I will mention them and things like that, but the way that I'm writing this plan that they have, I need some to stay back and watch the Lodging House, sell, and keep the others posted if any people have information about where Race. Sorry if this makes anyone mad but it has to be done.

Three, I'm going to kind of give you my idea for the next chapter. Jack isn't the only one that has a plan. Scar has a huge plan and using Race as a pawn. In the next chapter, Scar will explain his plan, and idk if there will be a song chapter soon. I may switch POVS as well, going from Jack telling Katherine about the plan to find Race to Race and Scar.

That is all I can say but yeah here we go!