Episode 1: Suzie, Do You Copy?

[Season 3]

(I'm so excited for this season. It's my favorite.)

I sit at the cash register of my new job at Scoops Ahoy in the new Starcourt mall. It's kind of embarrassing, but I'm saving up for college, not wanting Mom to pay for it. I graduated a few months ago.

I see Mike, Max, Lucas, and Will coming up to the register. Mike starts repeatedly ringing the bell. I look at him, annoyed.

"Hey, Steve! The children are here." I call to Steve in the back.

Steve opens the sliding window behind me, wearing the same sailor uniform that I am only the shirt to his is entirely blue while mine is striped blue and white. He looks at the kids, annoyed.

"Again? Seriously?" Steve asks them.

Mike rings the bell again and we let them through. They usually come though this ice cream shop to go through the back to the theater so they can see a movie for free. It's normally Steve that lets them through because I don't want to get fired and/or sued.

Steve comes back and not a few minutes later, the power goes out.

"That's weird." Steve says as we look around. Steve tries to flick on the lights and continues to flip the switch when it doesn't work.

I look at him. "That isn't gonna work, dingus."

"Oh, really?" Steve asks before flipping the switch over and over and over again at a faster rate. He continues to do it until it actually works. "Let there be light." He continues scooping ice cream and I shake my head and continue to work as well.

...

It's the next morning and I'm sitting at the table with Will eating my eggs. We joke around a bit before Jonathan comes out. Mom talks to him for a second before coming back.

"Ugh. Gross." Will says, having heard and seen what they were talking about. Mom just wiped a bit of lipstick off of Jonathan's cheek from Nancy.

"Well, I don't think you're gonna think it's gross when you fall in love." Mom says as she sits down.

"I'm not gonna fall in love." Will says as he unscrews the cap to the syrup.

"Okay." Mom whispers with a sly smile before she gets up again. "Hey. What happened here?" She asks as she walks to the fridge to see the magnets have fallen off. Will and I both hum with a shrug.

...

I listen as Steve attempts to flirt with some girls, failing miserably. He gets rejected and they leave with their ice creams.

"And another one bites the dust." I say as I hold up a whiteboard. Steve drops his head and turns around to face me. "You are oh-for-six." I say as I add the sixth tally on the 'YOU SUCK' side of the whiteboard with a smile.

"Yeah, yeah, I can count." Steve nods his head.

"You know that means you suck." I state the obvious, pretending he's dumb.

"Yep, I can read, too." Steve says.

"Since when?" I ask, falsely amazed.

"It's this stupid hat. I am telling you, it's totally blowing my best feature." Steve says as he stands from leaning on the counter and I put the whiteboard and marker away.

"Yeah, company policy is a real drag." I shrug. "You know, it's a crazy idea, but have you considered... telling the truth?"

"Oh, you mean, that I couldn't even get into Tech and my douchebag dad's trying to teach me a lesson, I make three bucks an hour and I have no future? That truth?"

I snicker and look behind him. "Hey, twelve o'clock." I point to a group of girls coming in.

"Oh, shit. Oh, shit. Okay... uh... I'm going in. Okay?" He turns, but stops short and turns back to me. "And you know what?" He tears the hat off and throws it behind me. "Screw company policy." He says with a smirk.

"Oh, my God, you're a whole new man." I say sarcastically.

"Right? Ooh." He dances a bit causing me to chuckle before he turns around and faces the new customers. "Ahoy, ladies! Didn't see you there." He practically screams, scaring the girls. "Would you guys like to set sail on this ocean of flavor with me? I'll be your captain. I'm Steve Harrington." The girls laugh at him. "Can I get you guys a little taste of the Cherries Jubilee? No? Anybody? Banana Boat? Four people, four spoons?"

I cringe before writing another tally on the 'YOU SUCK' section of the whiteboard.

Another day, another journey.

*756 words