Chapter 4: The Sauna Test

I'm back at work with Steve and Dustin and we start talking about what we've gathered.

"That keycards opens the door, but unfortunately, the Russian with this keycard also has a massive gun." Dustin says as he paces in the back room we sit in. "Whatever's in Themis room, whatever's in those boxes, they don't want anybody finding it."

"But there's gotta be a way in." I say as I grip the ice cream scooper in my hands.

Steve plays with his hat from the table we both sit at before fixing it. "Well, you know..." He leans forward and looks at us. "I could just take him out."

"Take who out?" I ask sarcastically.

"The Russian guard." Steve says seriously. I give him a deadpan look. "What? I sneak up behind him, I knock him out, and I take his keycard. It's easy."

"Did you not hear the part about the massive gun?" Dustin asks.

"Yes, Dustin, I did." Steve says, matter-of-factly. "And that's why I would be sneaking."

"Ah." Dustin whispers. "Well, please, tell me this, and be honest, have you ever actually... won a fight?"

"Okay, that was one time-"

"Twice. Jonathan. Year prior?"

"Listen, that doesn't count."

"Why wouldn't it count? Because it looks like my brother beat the shit out of you. So what makes you think you can take down a Russian guard with a giant gun who is trained for this stuff." I jump in.

Dustin and Steve start arguing about how Steve thinks he can do this, but my attention is focused on something else.

"That just might work." I mutter to myself and get up and grab my back and my keys.

I run out to the cash register and take all of the paper cash from the tips jar.

"Y/n." Steve calls before I start running out. "Hey. Y/n! Hey, what- what are you doing?" He calls as he walks out from the back.

I turn around and walk backwards. "I need cash."

"Well, half of that's mine." He whines. "Where are you going?" Dustin comes up behind him.

"To find us a way into that room, a safe way." I call back before stopping. "And, in the meantime, sling ice cream, behave, and don't get beat up." I count off before giving them a thumbs up and a bright smile then leaving. "I'll be back in a jiff." I salute as I start running.

...

I drive back to the mall from where I came and go back to Scoops Ahoy.

"It is fascinating what 20 bucks will get you as the County Recorder's Office." I say as I lay down a large sheet of blueprints. "Starcourt Mall. The complete blueprints."

"Not bad." Dustin says to me with an impressed smile.

"So, this is us, Scoops," I point to a spot on the blueprints, "and this is where we want to get." I slide my finger to the storage warehouse.

"I mean, I don't really see a way in." Steve says as he inspects it.

"There's not," I say before taking the top sheet off and revealing the vents, "if you're talking exclusively about doors."

Dustin looks at me in realization. "Air ducts."

"Exactly." I say with a smile before traveling over to the whiteboard and grabbing a marker before coming back. "Turns out, this secret room needs air just like any old room. And these air ducts," I circle the place on the blueprints where the secret room is before trailing it down along the vents to where we are. "Lead all the way... here." We turn to look at the vent beside us near the ceiling.