Thirteen

Doing school today feels impossible after the hour of sleep I got, not to mention all the words from the articles and the vision playing repeatedly in my mind.

Rose doesn't look in my direction when I walk into Mr. Burke's room, but I slide the glass Frappuccino bottle out of my purse and place it at the corner of her table, hoping it might get her to at least give me a smile.

But my heart sinks to the pit of my stomach when she gets up and tosses the bottle in the trash without opening it. So much for a peace offering. If she didn't even want her favorite drink because it came from my hands, all hope might be lost.

The rest of the day goes about the same, with Levi and his friends glaring at me every chance they get and classes not capturing my attention in the least. All I can think about is Luna and Aurora Blackwood and how they connect to me.

The only thing keeping me going is the thought of seeing Julian in history class and telling him the things I discovered last night.

But if I'm being honest with myself, that's not the only reason I was looking forward to seeing Julian. He's sort of weird, sarcastic at the worst times, but he is also hilarious and the more I hang out with him I realize...totally adorable.

This is not the time to have a crush, but I have to admit that it's a relief to have my mind on something else besides powers and spirits and long-lost twins.

Plus, the harder I try to resist, the more I think about it.

"So, someone told me they saw you and Byrne at the Crescent last night," a voice sneers from behind me, and I stop in my tracks, pivoting to see Levi leaning against a locker with his arms crossed pompously over his broad chest.

"Excuse me?" I ask, stepping toward him with a hand on my hip. I am done with this bullshit; I hate that he got hurt in all of this, but I am innocent of the "betrayal" that supposedly started it all. 

"Just saying, I'm a little surprised you moved on so fast from your lover in the courtyard." He scoffs and pushes himself off the locker with his foot. "I shouldn't be though; I guess whoring around is your new hobby."

Anger bubbles in my veins and my blood runs hot. "Levi, with all due respect, shut the fuck up," I say through gritted teeth. "I am not a whore."

"Well, you're certainly on your way to becoming one if you're hanging out at hotels with random dudes. Good luck with your new venture; make sure you don't undersell yourself," he spits with a devilish grin. "You may be a bitch, but you're decent in the sack."

My nostrils flare and I feel the palm of my hand heat with not only the desire to slap him across the face, but actual heat. The flames. They're back.

Shit. But before anything can erupt from my fingertips, I feel a hand slide into mine, and the fire subsides, my body immediately cooling down.

"Levi, you're out of line," Julian says, stepping forward but not letting go of my hand. "Apologize to her. Now."

I stare at Julian in shock; I've never seen him speak up like this before, especially to a person with as much social clout as Levi. It makes my blood heat, but not with anger this time.

Levi laughs and shoulder checks Julian as he passes us. "Not likely, weirdo. Enjoy my sloppy seconds, bro."

Julian goes after him, but I tug on his hand. "Don't. He isn't worth it."

The normally placid look in Julian's dual-toned eyes vanishes, replaced by a smoldering I'd not yet seen in them. "I really think it is. I'd take any punishment right now if I could punch him in his smug face."