hometown - luba

plot: y/n and luba both come from traditional families. they were childhood best friends, almost never apart. they were each other's first everything, crushes, kisses, but they had to hide from it all from their conservative families. when luba grows tired of having to hide, they beg y/n to come out and leave with them, but y/n, too scared of the outside world from what he'd been taught his whole life, refused. luba was heartbroken, but they left anyway, and for years the two never saw each other. it wasn't until y/n had no choice but to come out, that he finally began to realise that luba had been right about the outside world. they meet again only by chance when y/n finds himself in the club where luba works, and as soon as they see each other, all the feelings they left behind all those years ago come flooding back.

hello everyone!! so recently i watched mute on netflix, and,, while i may not like everything in the movie, rob was amazing in it, so i just have to write something for his character luba. now as far as i know, luba is not canonically nonbinary, but i write them as such, because it just feels more right to me. they are canonically pansexual though, so yay canon rep!!! there is a tw for internalised homophobia, transphobia

last little announcement (though i feel like little is contradictory considering what im announcing lol) i've finally realised i'm nonbinary! they/them pronouns:>

y/n had always been a timid child. he always listened to his parents, he believed them when they told him about the evils that the modern world tried to push on everyone who dared to enter it, and he always promised he would never their traditional path. his best friend luba, however, was a different story. luba was always a 'problem child' and at first y/n's parents had worried they would influence their child, but y/n still remained his same timid self no matter how much time he spent with his friend, as far as they knew at least. for y/n and luba however, it was a completely different story. while y/n was still the god fearing child his parents had raised him to be, he would always come out of his shell around them. luba was always there for him, and over the years the two grew exceptionally close.

when they were both ten, they both had their first crush, on each other of course. they knew it was wrong, their parents told them so, everyone around them did, though it never actually /felt/ wrong. when they were thirteen, luba confessed to y/n, and y/n tried his hardest to deny he felt anything back for his friend, tried to say it was wrong and disgusting, but he couldn't even get out a full sentence before he broke down in his friends arms and confessed right back, begging them to keep it all a secret. of course luba promised they would, and they both sat their, clinging to each other for comfort.

they were fourteen when they first kissed. they had been laying under the starts on the roof of y/n's house playing truth or dare, when y/n dared luba to tell him their biggest secret, of course y/n was sure he already knew what it was being how close they were, but when luba responded with "i think i love you, but i've been too scared to tell you", y/n froze. luba was never scared. they were always the one to tell y/n to stop being a pussy and just do whatever stupid idea they'd dragged him in to, so y/n was shocked. luba took the silence as a bad sign and sat up, pulling their knees to their chest. "i'm sorry.. i shouldn't have-" for the first time since they'd know each other, y/n was finally the one to initiate something as he sat up and pulled his best friend into a kiss, closing his eyes as they shared their first kiss together. when they finally pulled away for air y/n looked back at luba, reaching out to hold their hands. "you know we can't tell anyone about this. we'd be exiled.." he murmured. luba reached a hand out and cupped the side of y/n's face, stroking his cheek gently. "one day we won't have to hide anymore" and as much as he wanted to, y/n just didn't believe it.

when they were seventeen, they'd been dating in secret for three years. in that time, luba has come out to y/n as nonbinary, and while at first y/n didn't quite understand, he supported them from the moment they'd told him. it was only a few weeks out from their birthdays, they'd only been born a week apart, when luba suggested they run off together. "we wouldn't have to hide anymore, out there they embrace people like us" they had reasoned, but y/n wasn't convinced, while he loved luba more than anything, his parents had always taught him to fear the outside world, and it still stuck with him. "i just don't think it's safe out there.. you know what everyone says. all that technology, you have hide away just to get some peace.." he looked down at his lap and began to play with his hands before luba spoke again, and what they said made y/n freeze. "isn't that exactly what we're doing here?". they were right, y/n knew that, but he was still so scared. "i'm sorry, i love you but.. i can't move there. i just can't" luba knelt down in front of y/n, taking his hands in theirs. "aren't you tired of having to live in the shadows like this?" they motioned to the barn they were currently stowed away in, and y/n shrugged, staying silent. "we wouldn't have to hide who we are anymore, isn't that what you want? you can't seriously tell me you actually enjoy having to come here just so we won't get lynched, right? if we leave, we'll never have to do this again. we can go out on dates, like normal people do-" y/n abruptly pulled his hands away and stood up, tears filling his eyes.