☪ | tears

‘ tears ’

naruhina oneshot 02.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

The night Naruto was told he held the demon Nine Tailed Fox within him, he cried.

He cried when Iruka-sensei expressed his care for him, when he’d verbally labeled Uzumaki Naruto a comrade of the Leaf. He cried when Iruka-sensei took a shuriken for him, crying his own tears of love.

Before that night, Naruto hadn't cried for years.

He'd left the show of emotion behind, deciding that after many weeks, months, years of being pathetic, it was time to suck it up and carry himself with his head held high.

But he could only evade the tears for so long, he could only evade loss itself for so long.

Death came, it took those important to him, the ones he'd shared smiles and laughs and insults with, and ripped his bonds apart like a tight bandage from a raw wound.

Naruto knew pain, he knew sacrifice, and he knew what it was like to live on after those he loved lay in their graves.

But life now, it was good. Those he loved were no longer at war, but safe within the village, living peaceful lives of their choice.

So he had no real reason to find himself crying in his bedroom that evening, as the sun was beginning to set and families were returning to their homes for the night.

Hinata would be home soon, too. Usually a thought Naruto looked forward to, being able to hold her in his arms and know someone returned the ever burning love he held for her.

But tonight, he didn't want her to see him.

His pathetic form, crouched on the edge of the bed, as he held his head, trying to wipe the tears – uselessly.

He just couldn't shake the image of his late sensei’s smile, the echoing sound of his hearty laugh, the absolute determination in his voice as he insisted on completing important research.

Naruto missed Jiraiya. He would never stop missing him.

Most days were good – it was years ago after all, and the pain had begun to subside. Not in a bad way, since he would always remember and praise his sensei, but in a peaceful, natural kind of way.

Other times, the grief, the urge to do something when there was nothing left to be done, consumed Naruto’s heart. He was only human (well, mostly, excluding Kurama), so he couldn't avoid things like this.

It didn't stop him from wishing he could.

Naruto jammed the heel of his palms against his eyes, willing the tears to stop. He didn't want to be seen like this. He had to be strong. People depended on him now, like they never had before.

“Naruto-kun?”

Naruto gasped a little, immediately turning away from the door. Why had he let himself be so startled?

He demanded himself to pull it together, even as he felt the bed dip beside him. He didn't turn to see the look on Hinata’s face as she set her grocery bags down on the floor at their feet.

She reached over and set a hand on his shoulder, treading carefully. “What’s wrong?” she whispered.

Naruto didn't answer. He didn't want to hear his choked voice, small and cowardly.

Hinata didn't push, most likely understanding without words. She instead brushed a few strands of hair from his forehead, trying to get him to meet her eyes. When he still didn't, she released a slow breath and carefully wrapped him in a hug, pulling him into her.

Naruto felt himself relax involuntarily. He hadn't even been that worked up, but Hinata’s silent understanding served to melt his tense muscles.

His tears stopped flowing.

“Hinata,” he tried, but his voice was choked anyways.

She shushed him, resting her hand on his head and playing around with his hair, only serving to relax him more. “Please don't be ashamed,” she whispered.

Naruto rested his head on her shoulder, breathing in a shaky breath. She knew what he was thinking, what he was feeling, before he could conjure up some excuse.

“Crying doesn't make you weak.” Hinata’s voice was firm and held steady, but it was soft and uttered only for his ears to hear. “It’s okay not to be okay.”

Flashes, images of people he knew, tears running down their faces, flashed through Naruto’s mind. Specifically Sakura, his teammate. She cried from grief, from loss, from overwhelming circumstances, but she was one of the strongest kunoichi he knew.

Naruto felt tears well again, but this time for a different reason.

“I don't think any less of you,” Hinata promised, resting her head against his. “And no one else ever will.”

Naruto sniffled. “Yeah.”

“Are you okay?” she suddenly asked.

“Yeah, I. . .I'm fine now, Hinata. Thank you.”

He didn't have to look to see her blush, but he did anyways. Somehow, with only a few words, Hinata managed to banish his shame behind his watery blue eyes.

“Of course, Naruto-kun.”

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

꒰ 🌓 ꒱ؘ ࿐ ࿔*:・゚a / n

i love them so heckin much :')

i know naruto can easily be portrayed as ooc when written crying, or sad, because of his usual upbeat personality, so apologies if he came off that way. i just wanted to make it clear that even naruto has his bad days, it wouldn't exactly be healthy to smile 24 / 7 haha.

don't forget to comment !

sayonara !

- grace