☪ | distracted

' distracted '

naruhina oneshot 06.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"Oh, come on, Hinata!" Ino leaned forward on her folded hands, nosy as ever. "Tell us what he said!"

Hinata shook her head quickly, hoping the curtain of hair jumping with her head covered the furious blush painting her cheeks. Sakura and Tenten laughed, while Temari stirred her tea amusedly. 

"Oh, leave her alone, Ino." Sakura reached over to pat Hinata's head, but it was clear she wanted to know just as much as Ino. "She won't feel comfortable saying anything if you interrogate her."

"It is her private life and relationship," Tenten said. She was leaning as far over the table as Ino was, though, brown eyes round with curiosity. "Besides, girls, do we really want to know what Naruto said to his girlfriend? I'd rather hear what Sasuke sent in his most recent letter."

Suddenly, it was Sakura's turn to turn crimson. She didn't have long locks to hide her rosy cheeks, on the other hand, so she resorted to shoving Tenten lightly. 

"I couldn't care less what the blond ball of energy said, if we're being honest here." Temari sipped from her cup, eyes sliding over to Sakura. "But the ever-so-stoic Uchiha? That's a different story."

Sakura collected herself and chose that moment to begin eating her meal that, until then, lay untouched. "It's none of your business. It's not like he says much, anyway. But when I find a scroll with your names on them, I'll be sure to give you all the details."

Hinata smiled as their small group laughed together. Sometimes, it seemed the only thing the kunoichi could talk about was everything no one wanted to say out loud--specifically their love lives. Hinata always seemed to be the main target, since they'd all been rooting for her since they were children. When she and Naruto became official, it was like her private life evaporated. A girls' night out promised no secrets, especially since Hinata was generally open with them if they asked anything. If she ever had a problem or doubts, the girls were always ready to help. Especially Sakura, who knew Naruto better than the rest.

Of course, there were things Hinata kept to herself, but they didn't feel like secrets. It wasn't as if she were expected to tell them about every second she spent with Naruto. Every hello, every goodbye, every handhold--it would be impractical, especially as their time together increased.

But Hinata had been slightly distracted the entire evening, and it didn't go unnoticed. When asked, she might've mentioned Naruto and something he said, and it was all gone from there. Ino had been asking for the past five minutes, bringing it back up even after the subject changed. Hinata did her best to pay attention from there on out, but her distraction didn't really fade.

Hinata scooped noodles into her mouth and let her focused facade fade. What had he said?

Naruto had recently returned from a mission and automatically booked all of Hinata's free time. Before she'd gotten the invitation to dinner with her friends, Naruto came to her door and asked if they could walk together.

It was cool out, and the green leaves of Konoha were going orange. He waited for her to grab a coat before they left, making their way through the village. Their walks were especially enjoyable for Hinata because nothing was expected out of either of them. No conversation was required and people tended to leave them alone when they were together. 

This is the part where one might expect Naruto to say something that made Hinata's heart flutter and leave her disoriented for the night.

But that wasn't the case. 

Hinata easily picked up on the tiredness lining Naruto's smile. She was aware of the way his shoulders drooped just slightly and his slower pace as he walked.

He needed a good night of sleep after a tiring mission. She directed them back to his house as they walked, taking initiative. After they were inside, Naruto pulled Hinata down onto the couch where they sat and talked for a while. Eventually, his exhaustion got the better of him and he snuggled into her shoulder as she ran her fingers through his hair. He didn't fully drift off to sleep, since it was nowhere near nighttime and he had things to do (as well as she), but the relaxation was much appreciated.

Then he looked up to meet her eyes and pecked her on the nose. Hinata giggled as he settled his head back down until his drowsy voice reached her ears.

"You're my everything."

It sounded so special coming from him, as if no man had uttered the same words to another woman before. It was what every girl dreamed of hearing--of achieving--with their significant other.

For Naruto to say that to her? So unexpectedly?

It was the best thing she'd ever heard.

She knew he meant it, too. He was tired, sure, but that'd never mattered before. She was his everything

Could he have said anything more perfect?

Ino, Sakura, Tenten, and Temari should be able to understand if she wasn't completely present that night. What he'd said put her a little out-of-body, lost on that little couch back at his house. 

You're my everything.

That was big. So, so big. 

Hinata laughed into her bowl of noodles, causing the girls to stop their conversation and question her with their gazes. She shook her head slowly, swallowing.

"You really aren't going to tell us?" Ino pouted.

Hinata hesitated. Was this something she wanted to share? It was all hers right now, and that was something special. . .

"Sorry," she said softly, smiling at the fallen expressions all around the table. "Not today."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

꒰ 🌓 ꒱ؘ ࿐ ࿔*:・゚a / n

hey hey hey (bokuto has entered the chat)

i stand fully behind the fact that naruto is actually a really good boyfriend and sometimes says all the right stuff.  so i took that, added some much-needed girl time (featuring some girls who are CRIMINALLY underrated), and ended up with this.

hope you enjoyed!

- grace