Chapter 1 - The Day A Promise Was Made

"Dad?"

"Hmm? What is it Yuuko?" "Why is it scared of us?"

He was rightfully confused. The boy had seen many dogs in his six years of life, but never one quite like the one facing them at this moment. It was covered in dirt, growling at his father when he got too close in an attempt to feed it; nonetheless, his father kept trying. Why did it hate him so much?

"Well Yuuko.... maybe it isn't." "But it almost bit you!"

The dog let out a vicious bark in response to Yuuko having raised his voice, and his father dropped the steak as a result. It was supposed to be tonight's dinner, them having gone shopping earlier in the day, but upon seeing the animal, his father couldn't help but try and feed it.

"Why are you being so mean?!" the boy shouted, "You don't even want food!" "RAAWHF!"
Yuuko immediately hid behind his father's leg, small tears forming in his eyes.
"Yuuko, don't raise your voice or you most certainly will scare him." he quietly chastised. "But he almost bit you and doesn't want our help!"

It was difficult to disagree with the boy.

Yuuko and his father had been walking home from the market, a pleasant day in early April where it was neither too hot nor too cold; Spring had just arrived. His mother had sent him and his father away, partly to get groceries for the evening's dinner, partly so that they would once

again be able to familiarize themselves with the Primary school Yuuko would be attending next month. He had to memorize the route in case there were days his mother or father couldn't be with him. His mother was against the idea at first, but their home was a quick ten-minute walk from the school; and because both his parents worked, it seemed like an inevitability. It was certainly one of the many reasons why they had moved into a town that leaned toward the smaller side while having a sizeable population.

Yet, he was both ecstatic and frightened for the near future. Scared to meet all of his classmates, but excited to make potential future friends. More than that though, he would finally have his chance to be like his father. Someone people will look up to, someone who always does the right thing.

The bright afternoon sun shone above them as his father talked about their plans for the next few days; and it was on their way back they heard an animal whimpering. Faint, but certainly there. Yuuko didn't know how his father knew, but he said it sounded hurt. Together, they spent the next few minutes trying to locate the sounds of the animal, each whimper convincing his father that it was surely in pain.

To both their surprise, it was Yuuko that found the location of the noises— an alley, tucked away and hidden between the crevices of street buildings. Finding a box flipped on its side, his father opened it to reveal a small, light brown dog with dirty fur and a rounded tail. It was obviously hurt, but it didn't look feral; which is why his father began to try and coax it out. The stray turned hostile the instant the two of them got close.

His father took out another slice of meat, shaking it as he spoke—

"Come on little guy, this steak is nice and juicy— yeah— you like juicy things don't you?"