Chapter 5: Those Who Are Least Alone [Part 1]

Part 1

It was Hajimu that tripped first. The four boys just managed to escape the dog's forward lunge as they subconsciously huddled together for safety; but with the chaos occurring in a narrow alleyway, all it took was one misstep to send them tumbling into the concrete.

"AAGHhHHhHHH, MOVE— MOOOOVE!"

"Hajimu don't push me!"

"RAWHF! GGRRAWHF!!"

"MOVE OR IT'LL BITE MEEEEE!"

"Ahgghh! My glasses!"

"WHO CARES— HURRY!"

As the four stumbled back into an escape, Daisuke's glasses remained on the concrete; no more than two meters away from the growling creature.

"M-My glasses! Guys I need them!"

"No you don't!" Hajimu spat in a fierce voice. "That thing almost killed us!"

"But they're not mine! They're my grandpa's!"

"Daisuke, Hajimu's right. It'll kill us!"

His grief-stricken plea fell on the deaf ears of his friends, making Yuuko feel heavy despite his body shaking. From a safe distance, Yuuko could see that it was definitely the same dog from that day. And it almost hurt them. Again.

He wanted to say something to his friends, but the sound wouldn't escape his mouth. Not only that, but even though there was so much energy filling his body, the weight made him feel slow.

That's a problem! If he was slow, how would he be able to get away from the dog if he started chasing them!?

........................................

And in this energetic daze, he turned back, noticing something odd.

"Friends.....why is it not it chasing us?"

As the other three turned in the direction he was staring, they found it was true. They were no more than two meters away from Daisuke's glasses, four from the dog; yet it refused to close the distance and chase them out of its territory.

"Why did.....he stop?"

"Who cares! Come on guys, we're leaving!"

"Hajimu's right, we need to leave."

"But....my glasses you guys.... They're grandpa's!"

He wanted to say something to him, or do something. He shouldn't let his friends be sad.....but there was nothing he could do.

"I!......I......please........."

But looking at the pleading face of his friend on the ground, he remembered— this was his second time with the dog.

/The second time.../

"Hajimu!"

His friend who'd already begun walking away turned towards him in annoyance.

"What do you want?"

"Are you scared?"

"HUUUAAHHH!?!"

The eyes of Sora and Daisuke went wide as their friend stomped back to confront Yuuko.

"Who are YOU calling scared? Say that again!"

"N-No, I did not mean it like that," he said turning towards the two spectators. "Sora. Daisuke. Are you both scared?"

"N-No way, I'm not scared!" Sora shouted in an unusually high pitch.