Chapter 4: The Life I Sought To Create

Part 1

Yuuto's world changed April 10th, 8:07am.

"Unf!"

"Hyih!"

It's odd how people tend to remember insignificant information like that.

"AhHhhhH— I'm sorry! Are you hurt?"

"I am fine," she said, ignoring his extended hand.

Dusting off her skirt, the girl began picking up the books and papers that scattered as a result of their collision. Only after she picked up her third notebook did Yuuto realize he should be helping her, and as if reading his thoughts, she spoke before he could act.

"Please do not. The gesture is not necessary."

"Aahaha, right. They're your personal notes after all, sorry abou— hey your notes!"

His warning came too late; a strong, sudden wind blew just as she finished gathering the last of her belongings. The girl didn't falter in the slightest, but what did was a single piece of paper that came loose from her grip— flying to the other side of the school.

Yuuto couldn't help but smile at the opportunity. He was already running towards it when he turned back.

"Don't worry, I won't be long!"

After some minutes, the only thing that could be heard from beyond the front doors of the school was heavy panting. The boy responsible for the noise had one hand dedicated to holding a crumpled piece of paper while his other clutched his chest.

"Sorry......I took so......long... it got caught in a tree and....I climbed it but fell and......huh?....."

Standing upright, he looked from the main gates to the front doors of the school and found no signs of life anywhere. The area which hosted the girl just a few minutes ago was now empty.

He looked down at his watch. It's no wonder she left.

"Guess I'm late again." he sighed.

Before hurrying to his first class, his eyes moved from the watch to a silver object on the floor. Crouching down, he examined the metal.

"A key?"

The connection instantly formed in his mind—

Her key!

—and a bright smile returned to his face.

/Alright, I can return this once I find her, but where would that be? I didn't exactly get a good look at her, but it shouldn't be too hard right? She looked like a first year after all./

"........."

Maybe second?

"......................."

Black hair, average height, wearing our school uniform....

".........................."

/That doesn't narrow it down at all! Ahhh man, I should've asked for her name at least!/

He scratched the back of his hair with both hands in agitation, not noticing the paper crumpling as he did so, and a second epiphany struck him.

"She must have written her name somewhere on here..."

And her name—

"Hikari.... Aeri?"

—was one he'd never heard before.

***

"Haaaaaaghhhhhh!?! What do you mean you haven't heard of her!?"

"She's literally the only thing people have been talking about since she got here two days ago!"