Chapter 5: Those Who Are Least Alone [Part 2]

Part 4

The world around him changed in the blink of an eye. The memory haze he got when not spending time spent with his family has gotten severely worse since being fired, the last thing he remembers is talking to his wife, then being here. If he had to guess, it was the very next day.

But where was he now? He remembered speaking with Hikari, but to Yuuto, the environment shift around him was sudden. He was no longer at a table, but outside; no longer sitting, but walking. Fresh air filled his lungs while the evening sun dyed the sky an iridescent crimson. He looked around until finding a young boy in front of him, quietly walking forward with a smile on his face.

/Ahh, that's right— we're walking home from school right now. I just picked him up./

It was frightening— the only thing he did was blink. He wasn't always like this, but rare was the occasion where this otherwise didn't happen. He felt as though his body wasn't his own when not with the people he loved; like he was on autopilot. His body moved- there was a faint recognition of what he was doing- but he didn't feel there. Complete. Whole.

And yet, it just happened with the people he loved most......

"Father? Are you okay?"

"Hnn? Oh, yeah, I'm alright Yuuko. How was school?"

His son looked as though he was deciding whether or not to believe him, but answered the question with a smile.

"It was good! Hajimu and the others ignore me now, so I do not get hit anymore!"

/Hikari was right. It hurts....... so much./

Having left the school district, Yuuto steered them towards a passing hill that overlooked the warm orange sky.

"Let's sit down here for a little while."

"Is it okay?"

He patted the spot next to him in response as his son happily followed suit.

/It has to be here./

"Yuuko, why do you want to be a hero?"

"Father?" The question caught his son off guard, but Yuuto waved off the confusion and encouraged his son's answer.

"Hmm.........because....... heroes are heroes!"

He smiled. He really is too young to fully understand.

/But he understands in part. That means it's not too late....... even so...../

"Yuuko, you know what you did with the dog was dangerous—"

"I-I am sorry father, I just thought that!—"

"Yuuko, let people finish speaking before you say something."

"S-Sorry....."

"It's okay, because you did the right thing."

"I......thought it was bad?"

"It's not. Yuuko, there's something I need to tell you as your father. I need you to listen right now, because one day I won't be able to tell you anymore."

"W-Why not?"

"Yuuko, you're not listening, it's important."

"Sorry......what is important father?"

He took in a ragged breathe. "Do you remember what I've always told you about heroes?"

"They are....alone? Because some people do not like them?"

"Yes, but you need to remember— people don't like heroes because they don't believe they're real. Those people are wrong."

He hoped his son would be able to understand him, and from his wide pupils, he seemed to be following along.