Chapter 4 - Halloween

It's been a month, a month of staying in the shadows to protect as many as I can while staying out of my brothers and uncles sight. Keeping watch on Caroline and occasionally Bonnie — I'll protect Jenna as well. I met her at the grocery store a few times, she's a spitfire, sassy as fuck and definitely more my type. Especially since I'm technically a hundred and something year old wearing a twentyfive year olds body. Sort of. Do I go by my age before I died or his age? Technical shit.

Lately I've been delivering vervain to Caroline just like I promised her that I would. Her supply is refilled by me every week and I've began growing my own ever since I found my own place. For the most part I've been ignoring Stefan's girlfriend, despite the fact that sometimes she seems to try to come and seek me out. Then there's the practical fighting lessons that I've began giving Caroline.

Logically they won't do much against a vampire or a werewolf, but it will at least help her out if she's in a pinch. So then you add in staking and selfdefense lessons.

"No." I tell her with a sigh as I grab the stake from her tiredly. "Caroline, you can't swing it like that okay? Now, I don't want you to stake me because that would really suck for me but you need to be able to do it right."

"But what if I do .." Caroline says as she mimics staking me.

I shrug my shoulders. "It'll probably hurt, a lot. Then I'll die. But .. what can you do, right?"

"That's it?" She asks me in frustration. "You wouldn't care? What about getting to live your life or finding love or something?"

"Not really." I admit with a shrug. "Right now I spend most of my day training and trying to get the whole crow thing down pat, along with the fog thing. It's kind of fun and could probably come in handy too."

Caroline rolls her eyes as she crosses her arms over her chest. "And playing video games?"

"Definitely. They have some really fun ones out right now you know."

She huffs and looks at me in annoyance. "They're stupid video games Damon. It's like, not even cool."

"Tomorrow night, you and me. Resident Evil 5. I shit you not, you'll have fun. Maybe I'll even let you play Fallout 3. If we get you your own then we can play some games online."

"You're serious." She comments dryly, looking wholly unimpressed I might add.

Raising my eyebrow at her I nod. "Of course I am. All work and no play makes Damon cranky."

"I'll think about it. Weirdo."

——

"No Stefan." I reply flatly as I roll my eyes, not that he can see it considering it's a phone call and I've moved out of the boarding house. "I didn't kill Vicki. Why would I?"

"Because, you're evil Damon." Stefan counter-argues through the line sounding feed up. "All you bring is death and destruction wherever you go."

How rude, honestly, after I gave the man space and I haven't even caused much trouble.

Snorting I shake my head. "Seriously, how dense can you be Stef? If I wanted to kill someone I wouldn't deny it, I would simply do it. Then I would tell you about it after and probably gloat a little. Or a lot, these days who can tell? It would really depend on how annoying I find you."

I can practically see the constipated look on his face in my imagination right now as he responds. "So.. you didn't turn her?"

"Uhh. Duh." I reply boredly as I watch Caroline play Fallout 3 beside me.

"Damn." She snaps as her character is killed. "Every time I swear."

"Is that Caroline?" Stefan asks loudly through my cellphone.