5.1 - taking a turn

THURSDAY NIGHT, Alexandre lay upright on his bed, an overheating laptop on his thighs as he mindlessly scrolled through the photographs for his clothing line's photo shoot. His eyes would occasionally flicker to the cold and empty spot behind him.

Nick was rarely home anymore.

He'd wake up early in the morning, make the two of them breakfast and leave as soon as he heard André's incoming footsteps. No kiss, no hug, no goodbyes. 

Sometimes, Alexandre would wake up through the night just to make sure Nick was still there. He knew he would never leave him, but he couldn't help but be terrified that one day, he would wake up and find no one.

It had become a routine. He'd wake up at three in the morning and simply stare at his husband's peaceful visage. He didn't have the frown that would sometimes coat his lips and his eyebrows weren't furrowed as he stared off into space.

Nick was beautiful. He really was. What with his golden locks that were never out of place (and if they were they still looked perfect) to his full lips that used to spread into a smile at the sight of Alexandre, Nick was stunning. Especially when he laughed.

And fuck did Alex miss the sound of his laughter.

The apartment used to be light and happy and carefree. Now the air was thick, and sometimes Alexandre felt like he could suffocate if he thought about the state of his marriage.

Maybe that was why Nick was never home anymore.

Alexandre's gaze snapped to the bathroom door when he heard the click of the lock. Nick stepped out, dripping wet from the shower he just took. With a towel in one hand, he patted his hair dry while scrolling through his phone with the other. Alexandre felt his heart tug at the sight. Fuck he loved his husband and how he still managed to look so good after a shower.

Nick slid their closet door open and stared at his array of hoodies while Alexandre continued to pretend to work.

Swallowing the ever-growing lump in his throat, he asked, "Are you going over to Dylan's?" Managing to stop himself from ending his question with 'again'. Alex considered Dylan to be his brother but he was starting to get jealous that he saw Nick more than his own husband did.

He watched Nick heave as he took a deep breath. Nick glanced at his phone a final time before angling his face so he could look at André with one eye. This time, Alexandre's heart stopped entirely when his husband shot him a cheeky grin. A grin that didn't reach the eyes, but it was a grin nontheless.

He couldn't remember the last time he saw Nick smile.

"It's Thursday night, Alexandre," He said playfully. "If I'm not mistaken that is date night."

He ignored how unfamiliar his name sounded on his tongue, having grown used to being called André, and instead stared at him dumbfoundedly.

What was happening?

"Well?" Nick sang. "Are you going to get the fuck up or not?"

Alexandre had never been quicker to get dressed in his life.

•••

– 12/01/21

I refuse to study for my med chem final so I shall procrastinate by doing this.

HOW IS EVERYONE