Chapter 1- Broken (Keefe's POV)

Chapter 1- Broken

Keefe POV

Things were finally normal. Or as normal as they could be. The Neverseen was locked up. Still, I felt a huge piece of my life was gone, missing.

Sophie had asked me to come and hang out at Havenfield. I was in the process of applying hair gel when Ro sighed and said, "Oh, HunkyHair! You really should tell her, you know?"

My face tightened as I said, "No way! Sophie already has enough stress; she doesn't need to know that!"

"Know what?" a voice asked behind me. My body froze, and my face went pale.

"Sophie. What're you doing here?" I asked shakily.

"I thought that I would pick you up. I don't want to go home anymore. I thought we could go someplace else like a dinner that Fitz set up at Everglen. I came to pick you up, but now, I'm interested, what's up?" she asked.

I gulped and said, "Another time, maybe?"

Sophie frowned and said, "If you don't tell me after dinner, I'll tell Dex to turn your hair green. I mean it."

The happy facade I had put up chose to slide off at that moment, and I felt my lips transform into a sombre smile.

She noticed it but didn't say anything.

I smiled and said, "Let's go..."

She stared at me for a second or two and nodded.

She took my hand, and we leapt to Everglen.

Fitz and Biana were standing at the golden gates, and Fitz kissed Sophie's cheek. Biana sighed and cringed a little. I smiled to myself when I saw her reaction.

She pulled me aside quickly and said, "Okay. Keefe. When are you going to tell her?"

"Tell her what?" I asked while I knew the answer. She nudged me in the ribs. Hard. So, I said, "Look...she's in a relationship with your brother. I respect that. I thought you were like the number one Fitzphie fan."

Biana sighed and said, "They don't keep each other happy and Fitz....sort of knows. He knows that you both like each other and he'll be happy for you."

"Hold your mallowmelt, Fitz thinks she likes me," I asked. I was red in the face. And I knew it.

Biana nodded, and I said, "I'm going to tell her right now."

"Now is not the best time, Sencen," I heard her call.

I didn't know what had gotten into me. Just hearing that Sophie liked me from Biana had built up this adrenaline.

I looked at Sophie who was busy making puppy eyes at Fitz. I stopped. No way, no way would she like someone like me.

I turned back, looking at Biana with utmost defeat. I walked out of Everglen.

Air. I needed air. My heart stopped as I started to panic. Why could I not move on?

I wanted to. Really bad. But the feeling just never seemed to let go.

I sighed and put my head in my hands.

"Keefe, are you fine?" said Sophie from behind me.

I straightened and said, "Of course..."

"Keefe Middle Name Sencen, you tell me what's going on with you or the green hair promise will come quicker than you expect it!" exclaimed Sophie.

"Geez, no need to threaten The Hair," I said.

My little joke made Sophie's anger fade to concern, and I felt a massive wave of hurt hitting me.

"Don't you trust me, Keefe?" she asked in a small voice.

"No, I do. I just...," I halted, and Sophie sighed.

Her resignation made a fuel rise in him. He hated seeing her upset.

He sighed and whispered, "Don't hate me when I tell you, Sophie."

Sophie's heart halted. I could feel it.

I gulped, hardly believing what I was about to say.

"Iloveyou," I said in a rush.

"Um, what?" asked Sophie.

"I love...you," I repeated as tears filled my eyes.

Sophie took a step back. She proceeded backwards with caution. As though I were trash. Maybe I was.

"I'm with Fitz. He's great. I love him. But we can still be friends, right?" she said.

"I...can't...," I whispered.

Sophie's eyes reflected pure pain, but she ran.

Just ran. Back into Everglen.

My heart stopped. I just stood there.

I felt broken.

I let the pain sink in.

Broken.

I was broken, and now nobody could fix me.

The only person who could fix me had left me.

The only person who could fix me had made me feel worthless.