3: The Legacy

Days passed, and I was able to learn a couple of magic, some are even advanced.

It is Mind Class and one of the most unbelievable thing happened; I am partnered with the Salazar guy. Unfortunately, Raquel, my partner, didn't come to class today and so does Alex's partner Franco. Oh how nice. I have seen the two together and I must say, they are the most powerful dark magicians in class. 

Franco was more of a torture guy and Alex seemed to be calmer than him. I do not even understand the point of this class when all we do is do stuff at each other's head. Mind class consists of an hour of lecture and an hour for exercises. 

Today we have Transparency; we will put our partner to sleep and look at their memories. Usually, according to our professor, light magicians see happy memories while dark ones get to relieve the worst. It takes great power to go through the barrier. "It was believed that Legacies can choose whatever they want while the Losts still try to execute like how Legacies do it." Ms. Deoso added.

The goal here is to be able to control the memory you give off when someone tries to get into your mind. This is the training we do to protect our minds, to be able to match those who try to get in our heads.

Ms. Deoso decided to show us first before we begin, of course no one volunteered so she called Francine, a red headed light magician. Francine sat on the chair in front of Ms. Deoso and Ms. Deoso immediately put her hand in her eyes and with that, she fell asleep. She closed her eyes and caressed Francine's hair slowly. "Oooh, what a beautiful scene," she blabbered and smiled. It took a minute before Ms. Deoso removes her hand on her head; maybe she enjoyed what she saw, she kept smiling throughout. "Okay okay, let's begin."

"Who's first?" Kind of him to ask, I thought. Alex looked at me intently. I did not speak, I did not know why I lost my words. There was something in his eyes that always caught me off guard, like they are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Stop! I said to myself. I realized he is already in the chair which means I'm first. 

I started and the next thing I know I'm seeing the whole Nerida family in front of me; we're sitting in a long dining table. "Alex, pass me the salt." A guy with dark brown hair and striking green eyes said. "It's in front of you, Daniel." He answered back. "Alex, just pass it please." The woman beside Alex whispered. Alex ignored them and kept eating his food. Suddenly, I start to lose my breathe. What's happening? I--I mean Alex looked in front of him and saw Daniel saying something. I'm slowly feeling a little bit lightheaded. Please stop, I begged and then luckily I returned to the real world. My breathing was fast and Alex was looking at me, I felt his worry. "I'm sorry about that." He said. 

After a few seconds, I sat on the chair and he stood behind me. I felt his warm hands in my skin and then I dissolved.

I slowly opened my eyes and to my surprise, Ms. Deoso was in front of me. "Good! You're awake. Unfortunately, Mrs. Salazar had to be taken to the clinic. He passed out after reading you. You should check him out." She said. What? "What happened Ma'am?" I began to recall all my memories that could have made him pass out but none came up to my mind. 

Unlike him, I never experienced being used magic to, just like what I read in his mind. I was never tortured. "No one knows, he was just reading you for, I guess, about five minutes and then he passed out. Maybe he overdid it. Usually Transparency lasts only for two minutes max." She explained. 

I soon left the room and visited Alex in the clinic. He's up and he's talking to Franco. "Uhm hey." I greeted. They both looked at me. "Franco, can you give us a time to talk?" He turned to him. "Sure!" Franco answered and left immediately.

"What did you see?" I asked curiously.

"You were standing on the middle of the road of a town that looks very old, very unusual today. Houses are lit by torches, no pavements whatsoever. Suddenly, sound of cannons erupted out of nowhere. You began to cry. People started going outside of their houses, panicking, while you stood there in the middle. Magicians came out of nowhere, fighting other magicians until I realized those weren't just magicians. They're Legacies fighting magicians, light and dark." He left me speechless. "Are you sure that memory was mine?" I asked. "Yes, she looks so much like you." I didn't know what to say. "Are you sure you came in this period?" He asked curiously. "Yes. I—"I soon realized that I never had any memories with my parents back when I was five. It never occurred to me until now. "You're not... You're a Legacy, are you?" Alex asked. "No..." I answered. I didn't know so to my surprise, I found myself running away. I do not know who I am or what happened to me when I was a child. It almost seemed as if everything was a lie. What happened to me when I was five? And the years before that? I'm not a Legacy, right? All these questions kept bothering me.