Chapter 6

Everyone seemed to hold their breath as they took in what was before them

Everyone seemed to hold their breath as they took in what was before them. The man and the woman were both extraordinary in their way, their beauty putting shame to our appearances. Faeries. They had to be faeries. No human could look like that.

"Get out."

The words blurted out from my mouth before I could even register it. It sounded strong, no hint of a waver detected. All heads turned to me, five pairs of eyes all looking at me. My eyes remained pinned on the two faeries.

"I said get out."

"Or what, human?" the woman spat out, her sapphire eyes locking on mine.

Sapphire eyes.

I froze. The fairy-tale meadow. The doe. The sapphire eyes I caught spying on me. It all came crashing down as rage overcame me and I checked my grip, aiming for the woman's heart. Her mocking smirk never faltered even though she was in a life or death situation. It was as though she knew something else that I didn't and found it very amusing at my attempt to kill her. The man had a smirk playing on his lips as well, the streaks of gold in his chocolate-brown hair made him look as though he had a halo.

"Or what, human?" the woman repeated, her voice sending tingles up my spine. It was like a siren's call, so melodic and angelic that it would make you beg to hear her voice again. But I knew better to fall for her spell. Who knows what the faeries would do to you as their pets.

"This." The feather fletching of the arrow brushed my cheek as it flew straight towards the woman's heart. Her eyes widened a little, creating a perfect arch of her brows before she gave a sly smile and ducked. I watched horror-struck as the arrow flew for the man's chest instead, but he stood there unruffled, unimpressed. For when I thought the arrow had killed him, I watched as he snatched it from mid-air, catching it between two fingers, snapping it in the process. I stumbled back, shocked. These were faeries, not humans, they were heartless murderers.

"Enough of these silly games. We have real matters to discuss."

The two parts of my arrow clattered onto the ground as he dropped it to the side. I couldn't move. I had forgotten how powerful the faeries were. They could kill you with just a snap of their fingers.

I dared a glance over my shoulder. Theodore had his mouth open in mid-scream while father was bowing before them, muttering some strange words which were too low for me to decipher. Alistair continued standing tall in front of his brother and father, wielding my hunting blade before him. The man just smirked at the scene before him, knowing he could take us all down in just under a second.

Stupidly, I took another step towards the faeries, keeping the table between us. My bow was just a step ahead of me from where I had dropped it, but the faeries were standing in front of it now. This is it. We are doomed.

"P-please," my father babbled from behind me, failing to find it in himself to come to my side. "Whatever we have done, we did so unknowingly and—"