Chapter 17

My heart had calmed down enough for my hands to stop shaking by the time I started my trek to find Kallistê

My heart had calmed down enough for my hands to stop shaking by the time I started my trek to find Kallistê. I pushed my hand against the trunk of an ancient maple tree, propelling myself forward. I should have known the adrenaline from before would have worn off a long while ago. Weariness would soon catch up with me.

Each step grew more and more sluggish as I clambered up a steep hill, digging the tip of my bow into the ground to pull myself up. A right, then straight all the way, to where Kallistê would be.

But my heavy breathing and little strength did nothing to prevent the fact that I had killed a faerie. I had felt its blood spill on my hands, where it still stayed, drying and flaking off my skin. Yet I suppose if I were to kill the Imperial Lords, this was merely a practice. A practice to see if I had the guts to kill. If I had the mask of a cold-blooded murderer.

It had been a predator, yet a prey as well. And I realized then that this was an endless cycle of chasing, a game of lives and deaths. A gamble of chance and fate as the faeries wanted myself dead as much as I wanted their Imperial Lords. It was just the matter of carefully bidding our time now, waiting in the shadows for the other to fall into a trap. It was a death ploy, and I had walked straight into the heart of it.

I brushed off the uneasy thoughts as I waded my way through the thick brush. Green blades of grass tickled my ankles as I made my way through, my knees buckling with every foot forward. I didn't know where Kallistê was, where she might be as I finally entered the clearing. The last I had seen her was when she was atop her horse, before that creature ambushed us.

I wiped my moist hands on my blood-crusted pants while stopping in the middle of the clearing. So innocent—these woods were so innocent, yet it was ironic how creatures of death roamed free in it. A glamour I suppose, to trick a mortal's eye to believe all this was real, to snatch our life away before we could blink.

My eyes scanned the willowy birch trees that surrounded the clearing, hoping for a glimpse of long golden hair. A snort escaped me as I found none. Of course there wouldn't be—it was ludicrous of me to believe she would give up a chance of having me killed.

Though just as I was about to retrace my way back to the manor, to where it was safe, a warm hand gripped my shoulder. Whirling me around and pinning me against the trunk of a birch tree with such force, my breath was knocked out of my lungs. A loud thud of my head against the tree trunk had blood trickling down the side of my face. Bright stars gleamed and danced in my vision.

"Oh," a feminine voice said, almost sounding—relieved, "it's you."

Only then did I open my eyes a fraction, seeing the familiar blond waves and depthless sapphire eyes. Kallistê released her hold and stepped back. Blood, red as rubies, stained her once-spotless white dress.

"It got away," she said, wiping her dagger on the skirts of her dress, "Determining by your state, I am guessing that there were two of them. Did you kill it?"