59

"But we've got a guy coming round?" Sam said when Jase asked him to go and get Madison. Benny had gone out. They were waiting for a potential client to arrive for a chat about the girls.

"I know. That's why I want you to go get her,"

Sam narrowed his eyes, "Are you giving her her first customer tonight?" Jase sighed in frustration. He'd been thinking about what he was going to do all day, and he still didn't know how far he was willing to take things in an attempt to keep the heat down.

But he needed to put a stop to the rumours before they got out of hand. That would be easiest to do now, when he was in this disassociating stage. That was one thing he couldn't deny getting kicks from. Whilst selling drugs and dealing with customers was tedious, there wasn't anything quite like seeing the life leave someone's eyes. There was something disturbingly satisfying about the detachment that followed. That cold, numb callousness gave him a sense of freedom- of indestructibility.

"I'm not sure yet," he replied.

"What about your plan?" They were sitting at the kitchen table. Jase chewed his lip. His plan had been going well, she was feeling secure around him, she trusted him.

"The plan worked. It's time to let her know hers didn't."

Sam sat back, crossing his arms.

"What do you mean?" The front door opened, and both men turned to see Harvey walking in. He smiled nervously.

"Forgot my pack," he said, disappearing into the living room and leaving without another word. Sam turned back to Jase.

"I mean," Jase started, sitting up straight and lowering his voice, "I'm bored of playing games with her now. There are too many other things going on. I think it's time to remind her where she is." Sam laced his fingers behind his head, nodding with a relieved smile.

"True. You know, for a minute there, it kind of looked like you and Madison had a thing or something." Jase looked at Sam through his lashes.

"Don't be stupid, Sammy. Catching feelings for a girl in this place is more hassle than it's worth," he stood up, walking passed Sam as he spoke, "you should know that." As the words left his lips, Jase's resolve strengthened. It was a waste of time. It wasn't as though it could go anywhere and the only place it had gone was too far.