𝘌𝘗𝘐𝘓𝘖𝘎𝘜𝘌

𝘌𝘗𝘐𝘓𝘖𝘎𝘜𝘌

       𝘡𝘜𝘌𝘚 𝘉𝘖𝘜𝘕𝘋𝘌𝘋 𝘈𝘍𝘛𝘌𝘙 the frisbee that Rafe and Maya were tossing around at the beach

       𝘡𝘜𝘌𝘚 𝘉𝘖𝘜𝘕𝘋𝘌𝘋 𝘈𝘍𝘛𝘌𝘙 the frisbee that Rafe and Maya were tossing around at the beach. Graylin watched them with a soft smile playing at her mouth. She sat a distance away, slathering sun-screen on her skin. Though a storm had hit the Outer Banks, Florida was as bright and shiny as ever.

A grin that Graylin had grown to love split onto Rafe's lips as he had to jump to catch the neon-colored disk that Maya had thrown a little too high. Zues took the opportunity to pounce onto Rafe and the boy went down into the sand, quickly securing his hands around the dog and ruffling his fur.

"I know, you're not looking for a stamp of approval, but," Rickie began with as he plopped down next to his daughter in the sand. "I think you should know that Cameron has definitely won my stamp. I mean, good with kids and dogs?" He chuckled playfully.

"Dad, his name is Rafe, remember?" Graylin smiled up at him.

"I know, I know- calling people by their surnames is a force of habit from work." He shook his head.

"I'm sure Rafe doesn't mind, though. He's probably really proud to be called that when it's his family's name. His dad's a big deal back in OBX."

"Yeah? You scored yourself a hot shot then, didn't you?" He teased, knocking his shoulder against hers while the girl blushed.

"You know, ever since we got to Florida, he's been doing good." Graylin decided to confide in her dad. "Before, like, on the way down here? Something was off with him- I don't know, I think he was really nervous to meet you or something-" Rickie started laughing at this. "But he's been really relaxed recently." She turned her gaze back down the beach to look at Rafe again. "He really needed to get out from home for a while. Thank you for letting him come down here with me, and thank you for being so welcoming of us both."

"Of course, Graylin," Rickie hugged her into him. "We're more than glad to have you two in our home. Baby girl, what do you mean he needed to get out from home, though?" Graylin pulled away from her dad's hug and brushed her sandy palms against her legs before launching into an explanation.

"He got involved in some shady business a while back." Graylin admitted. "And, like, I know he did everything he could to get away from it, and it worked, but, I'm just scared it might come back to haunt him." She drew her legs into her chest as she watched Rafe laugh as he picked up Maya and swung her around.

"As long as he wants to stay away from it, all you can do is support him and be there for him." Rickie told her. "It's good to stay cautious, but don't let what-if's keep you from enjoying the moment. He seems like a good kid to me," He continued, nodding his head in Rafe's direction. "And if he really wants to protect you like he seems like he does, you'll know it in here." Graylin looked over at her dad as he tapped his chest over his heart. "You'll feel it in here. So, follow your heart, Graylin."

Earlier that morning and before the family had left to spend the day out by the beach, Graylin had helped Celeste prepare a light lunch of cucumber sandwiches. She headed back up to the large blanket that had been spread out over the sand to begin helping Rickie's girlfriend with getting the food out while Rickie headed down to the waters to throw around the frisbee with Rafe and Maya.

When Rafe's phone rang among his things, Graylin pulled the device out to see it was a call from his dad.

"Rafe!" She called out to the boy. "Your phone!" Rafe slowly jogged up to her and Zues followed him up, lapping at his legs.

"Gimme a second, boy." He told the dog with a smile as he approached Graylin.

"It's your dad." She told him, handing over his phone and becoming shocked when she saw his smile immediately fall off his face at the mention of his father. He took his phone from her and answered it after moving away from her. Graylin watched his retreating figure for a few moments before she returned to help Celeste with the food. "Dad! Maya!" She called out a second time after everything had been set up. "Lunch's ready!" As the father and daughter strolled their way up, their smiling faces made Graylin burst with happiness. She was just about to take a seat next to them when Rafe came back with a sullen face.

"Graylin," He called out to her. "Can I talk to you for a second?" Rafe led her a few feet away and when they stopped, he slid his phone back into his pocket and refused to meet her eye.

"Rafe? What happened? Baby, talk to me."

"Uh, I, uh-" He began, fidgeting with his fingers. "It's Sarah." He got out. "She left. With John B- she left with him during the storm on a boat, and they, uh . . ."

"They what, Rafe?"

"They got swept up." He let out a shaky exhale. "Their boat was found, but they were- they weren't-"

"Hey, ssh, it's okay!" Graylin took Rafe into her arms. "Fuck." She cursed under her breath realizing that it wasn't okay. "Fuck, we have to go back."

"Yeah." Rafe nodded. "No, I have to go back- you should stay-"

"Rafe, no-"

"I'm so thankful, Graylin- I really am." Tears shone in his eyes. "Bringing me down here with you? These past few days with you and your family have been amazing-"

"Rafe, ssh, no, I'm coming back with you, okay?" Graylin insisted, shaking her head. "You're not going back alone- you never have to do anything alone again. I'm here for you." A soft sob left Rafe, but he quickly bit down in his lip to prevent more sounds from escaping his mouth. Graylin took his face in her hands to make him look her in the eyes.

"We're going back to the Outer Banks, Rafe. And we're going back together."