one

The Neo Elemental Republic

A place where all elements coexist alongside each other in harmony.

Outside of the city limits lies the horrors of discrimination and the residences of non shifters, stuck in poverty and crime.

In a small family of four, Choi Minseo lived in the slums of Jaegu, a populated city just outside of Seoul that was flooded with the shiftless. Despite the poor living conditions, she remained diligent; straight A's, a student athlete, and still managed to work a part time job.

Minseo was completely ordinary surrounded in her world without the magic of elements.

But how did being ordinary make her so different?

Her father, little brother, and even her stepmom shared the same reddish orange eyes and the ability to shift fire. Of course it always confused her as a child, considering she was the only one in her family who couldn't shift at all.

Her eye color wasn't even blue, gray, or green like the other elements- it reflected a deep amethyst hue.

Growing up, she definitely assumed she was adopted with heavily similar features to her family, but nevertheless, she stopped questioning it as she grew older.

That was, until they decided to move into the Republic.

It was a dream for her family, getting to experience life around people just like them after settling in the slums.

Though, she couldn't dread it more, knowing she would be the only person who wasn't like the others.

January 3rd

"Hey, sweetheart. Got everything for school tomorrow?" a knock on the door was heard, making her head snap up at the sound.

Her father, Chanwoo, peeked through the opening. His eyes trailed over the boxes that still weren't fully unpacked, despite moving in two weeks ago.

"No." she mumbled, inattentively scrolling through her phone.

Chanwoo let out a sigh, stepping into her space. He looked at her room that was barely decorated, only the essentials laid out. "Min, it's been days. Your brother is already unpacked." he frowned.

Minseo rolled her eyes, hearing the younger boy yell from the other room at his television. "Minjun only unpacked cause he wanted to play video games."

He chuckled, taking a seat on the edge of her bed.

"I know it's different, but I've been wanting to move here with Yunhee for years. Minjun deserves a chance to be around people like him."

"I know, I was holding you guys back from moving here." she replied bitterly, pitying herself for being the only non shifter in the household.

Despite living with Minjun's real mom, Yunhee, most of her life, she just never considered her as her own. Sure, she makes an effort, but it's never settled correctly that she has absolutely no memories of her biological mother.