17

Leo was in the house with Jordan and his roommate Marcy while Percy waited on the porch for Roy. The two demigods had been staying there for the last few days since neither of them felt too eager to explore their few other options. He was uncomfortable with the mountain, and she was reluctant to explain the strings attached to the cabin. But it wouldn't matter so long as they could use the spare bedroom.

Somehow it was already Halloween. Time was moving at a pace it had never reached before. She couldn't remember the details of her last time celebrating, two years ago now. Feeling too old for trick or treating, she attended the camp party. It was nothing special, just a normal children's party with music and snacks, but it had been the coolest thing ever the first time she heard about it. She had asked her mom to help with a costume for a small gathering of half-bloods who didn't have any better plans for the holiday. Only a few years ago, and she didn't even remember what that costume was...

'Two minutes away.' A message pinged on her phone alerting her that Roy would be there soon. It really didn't matter how long he took, she had been out sitting on the step for a while already. The house was in motion, a little too tense and stressful for her tastes, but no one seemed to notice when she slipped out the front door. Leo didn't count.

M'gann had sent a second text, almost at the same time as he did. 'Hi Percy, is just wanted to let you know that there's going to be a Halloween party at my school, if you wanted to come! We are meeting at the mountain at 6:30pm!'

Neither text received an answer. There were more important things on her mind.

Percy couldn't even remember the costume she had asked her mother to make... Such a small thing, but she was troubled at having let it escape her. Sally Jackson, the most wonderful mother in the world, had made the whole thing from scratch over the course of her only day off that week, giving her daughter menial tasks and meaningful conversations to keep from getting bored. Then how she smiled, her entire face glowed just so purely happy with herself. Nothing would ever beat that proud shine in her colorful eyes. It was a look too beautiful to forget... The image she still associated to her mother despite the terrified expression that would have been her last moment.

The sun was blinding, but it wasn't the only reason she was tearing up. Perhaps she should have sat on the porch in the plastic furniture, but she didn't really mind the light all that much. At least it gave her an excuse.

Suddenly, a car door knocked her out of her daze. she looked up from her seat on the concrete steps.

Roy was walking up, wearing a baseball hat she had never seen on him before. It was cute how his short hair stuck out at the edges of where it sat on his head, but what really stood out was the ugly purple bruise on the side of his face.

She stood and leaned forward as he hugged her from the step below. "What happened?" she asked, even though she already knew.

Rather than answer, he guided her from the front step to the small couch on the porch. "I can't really stay long right now."

"Why not?" she asked.

"I've got a bunch of stuff to sort out with Dinah and Oliver. I just wanted to come by and apologize for disappearing again." He shook his head and looked at the ground. "I know I just promised the other day to be better about stuff like that."

"It's okay," She just wouldn't be surprised by it anymore. He was almost always reliable, and that was okay. She could deal with the fact that no one would ever be as dependable as she was; those people were gone from her life. "Really I'm not mad."

His expression read skeptical, but his eyes were warm. The car he came from beeped, but all he did was sigh. "I really don't want to go talk to Oliver."