Chapter 12

"Well, does he usually go out this much?"

"Yeah sometimes, but he's been doing it a lot more lately."

Dipper paused at the door, turning his head towards the voices.

"Do you have any idea why that could be?" The first one was definitely Ford. Dipper closed the door quietly and listened harder.

"No. He just stopped coming here anymore...I might have to call his parents soon." That one was Grunkle Stan. Dipper narrowed his eyes at the words, and a few objects trembled around him as he fought to stay in control.

"His behaviour lately has been terrible – I remember when he barely reacted to anything! That was easier to deal with." Grunkle Stan continued, unaware of Dipper's presence.

"So this is unusual for you?" Ford pried. He didn't see what happened next, but judging from the empty silence he guessed Stan nodded.

"Why are you asking all of this now anyway?" Grunkle Stan asked loudly. "You come crawling out of that bunker to ask about one moody teen?"

There was a pause before Ford began to answer.

"I'm not sure entirely what's going on here, but Dipper –"

Dipper re-opened and closed the door as loud as he could, finished with the conversation. His grunkles immediately grew silent as Dipper walked into the room casually.

They speaking of him as if he wasn't human, more of a second-hand item that needed returning. Dipper felt his fists clench at the thought, but they quickly relaxed as the numbness entered his mind again. It wasn't really anything new to him, as his parents treated him the same way.

"Kid, can we talk?" Stan interrupted just thoughts and he paused mid-step.

"About what?" He asked. He didn't miss the quick glance his Grunkle shot at Ford before continuing.

"Your behaviour. And where you're going each day. It's –"

"I go to the woods to look for monsters, as always. And I'm sorry about my behaviour, it won't happen again." Dipper said through gritted teeth. He felt his magic spike around him, and a few desktop items began to hover.

"That's the worst apology I've ever heard. And I wasn't asking for one." Stan continued. Dipper fought to stay calm, but the objects rose higher as his emotions peaked.

"I don't want to talk about it. I'll make it stop." Dipper replied with a small sigh.

The objects suddenly fell, clattering to the floor. Stan jumped, and Dipper took it as an opportunity to get away.

"What in the – Dipper!" Stan yelled, but Dipper was already up the stairs and slammed the door behind him.

"Dipper!" Stan banged his fist on the door and the teen flinched at the noise.

"Calm down Stanley, just leave him be for now." He heard Ford say quietly from the other side of the door. "It's not his fault."

"What do you mean by that?" Stan asked. Dipper pressed his ear against the door, barely catching the next words.

"I mean that there is something in his head. Or rather, a someone." There was a pause. "I'll be able to fix it in time, but I need more evidence. It could just be a teen phase." Ford said. He didn't catch Stan's reply and shuffled away from the door.

"We're on borrowed time Pine Tree." Bill said suddenly from beside him. Dipper nodded.

"Why do you even want me anyway? What are you planning?" He asked the demon quietly. Bill stared at him for a few seconds before replying.