Chapter 26

*Kylee POV*

"Ugh, I wish we didn't have to drive." Bucky whined.

"Well, we couldn't take a plane. You wouldn't get past security with your arm." I said.

"True. Besides, I'm not a big fan of flying. It kinda brings back bad memories."

"Oh." I said. "Well don't worry, it's only an 8 hour drive."

"Ya, ONLY 8 hours." Bucky said sarcastically.

Although I enjoyed being around my father for the past 4 days, I was glad to go. It was hard to see him, so hurt and vulerable and weak. It reminded me of my mom, in a way; the multiple trips to the hospital, the constant worrying of what each one would bring.

Then there was her last few days.

She had been so fragile. I remember when I saw her for the last time. I was sitting next to her, her hand in mine. She was awake, but just barely. She had looked at me with her weary eyes. She looked like she had aged 30 years. She told me to stay strong, to watch and take care of dad. To never give up. She said she would do the same. Never let go. But she never really did follow that rule, because she died 2 days later.

Dad got depressed for a long time, 10 years, maybe. He drank, smoked, things like that. He was a good father, when he was sober. But that wasn't very often. For my teenage years, I had to take charge of the house. I got a job as soon as I could. I had to do most of the shopping. It made it even harder that we lived in the cty. People tend to get a bit suspicious of a 13 year old girl walking down the street on her own.

That's a bit off subject, though, isn't it? Anyway, dad was still doing pretty bad. He had gotten a bit better, but the doctors weren't sure he would ever walk again. But we all had high hopes.

"Babe, are you ok?" Bucky asked. "You look like you're about to cry."

"I'm fine." I replied, snapping out of my daze. "Just thinking."

"Worried about your dad?"

"Just a little bit."

"He's a tough guy, he'll make it. I promise." That gave me a bit more confidence.

"You really think so?"

"I know so."

"But what if he just gives up? I mean, thats what happened with my mom. You saw how bad he was. It would be a lot easier to just give up."

"But he still has his life ahead of him. And if he did just give up, he wouldn't be able to watch his beautiful, amazing daugher live hers. So he won't just give up."

"Thank you, Bucky. You're really helped me with my dad, Honestly, I would have been a lot more stressed if you weren't around."

"No problem." Bucky smiled. "As long as you're ok, thats all that matters."