Chapter 4: Shannon

Happy weekend everyone! Here's this week's chapter with its ping pong narrative. Today we catch up with Shannon, Hope you enjoy!

"Seize the day."

Those words were echoing in his head as Shannon entered the coffee shop. All he wanted was to find solace in an espresso and the anonymity of a secluded table.

It wasn't his day.

The buzz of voices, some muted, other raised, greeted him as he pushed open the door. A solid oak bar took up one side of the room with a battered copper espresso machine sitting center stage with jars of coffee beans piled high on either side.

He looked around at the packed tables and could feel that familiar unease creeping into the back of his mind. It blossomed, spreading out tendrils until they wound themselves into a tight ball of anxiety in the pit of his stomach.

Considering he performed in front of thousands of people, packing out arenas and festivals, he still panicked at crowds this size.

The door bell jangled and the familiar whoosh of cool air rushed in as someone entered and stood behind him. He didn't turn but was aware of her smell: orange, maybe lime. Whatever, it was a natural, light perfume that hung in the air and made him inhale deeply.

He didn't have time to visualize the woman, it had to be a woman. He was ushered to a table and wasted no time making it his own. He hung his leather jacket over the back of the chair and for the first time relaxed.

This was what he always did after those therapy sessions. He'd find a coffee shop, usually close to Pike Place, and sit down to process his thoughts.

Today was no different but the memories of Laurel had overwhelmed him more than usual. And more than he cared to admit if he was honest with himself.

When he'd been asked about thoughts of dating again, he'd been consumed with a mixture of guilt and longing: Guilt because of his need to honor Laurel, and longing for the release that would come from the flesh and touch of another woman.

Maybe she was right, he thought. Perhaps he should move on with his life. He looked up and caught the waiter's eye. Just a double shot espresso would be enough to calm his nerves this morning.

The coffee, when it arrived, was chocolate dark and the aroma hit him in the gut. Immediately, it brought flashbacks of pavement cafes in Paris mingled with Laurel's laughter. That beautiful sound of her carefree soul dragged him back in time to those early days of a relationship that changed him for the better.

Three years ago.....

"You mustn't look," she said, laughing as she placed a blindfold over his eyes. "You agreed to this you big baby."

Laurel loved to play games and Shannon had fallen head over heels in love with her joie de vivre and sunny smile.

They'd been introduced by a mutual friend one morning while Shannon was picking up a spare part for his bike. 

Laurel had been wandering around this guy's house, wearing nothing more than underwear and a loose T-shirt. She was eye-catching. Her long tanned legs and chestnut hair tied back in a pony tail made his head turn. He couldn't help it.

But it was her laughter and later her chatter that brought them together. 

"What if I peep?" he laughed, as she forced him down on to the couch.

"You won't because it's a game and we don't cheat when we play games," she answered, before kissing the tip of his nose.

Shannon relaxed. He knew the score. He opened his arms and held her gently as she sat astride his lap, knees cradling his hips.

"OK, so give me one word that sums up how you're feeling right now," she said.

He could tell she was smiling without even seeing the curve of her lips or the twinkle in her eyes. Shannon shifted under her weight and rested his palms on the curve of her slender waist.

"Mind-fucked."

"That's two words, so it doesn't count."

"Nope. There's a hyphen, so it counts as one word."

Before he could come up with some other smart ass response, Laurel's lips closed down on his and silenced him. He would never tire of the softness of those kisses and the way her fingers raked through his hair. 

She shifted her weight forward so her body pressed him into the cushions. The pressure wasn't uncomfortable but she knew she was having the desired effect. The groan came from deep inside him and he tried to move but she pressed her body closer again.

"You know the game. Don't even try it," she said. The words were whispered into his ear and he grimaced.

"OK. One word," he said. "One word to sum up how you're feeling."

"Horny-as-hell with two hyphens, so don't pull any grammar shit with me," she said, barely able to conceal a giggle.

Shannon couldn't hold back the laughter as her hair tumbled forward across her shoulders and into his face. This was all part of her game and he knew the score.

****

The memories ran deeper than he'd ever care to admit. Laurel had been his world and now he was left picking up the fragments of his shattered life. There was life before, and now life forever after Laurel.

Shannon caught the waiter's eye and ordered another espresso. He couldn't even recall drinking the first. Only the bitter after taste told him he had.

He recalled what the therapist had said about moving on. In the deepest and darkest corners of his mind, he knew she was right. He had to move on. But his heart?

"Excuse me?"

The words cut into his thoughts and he looked up, jarred from his daydream by a woman sat on a table across from him. She was leaning forward and talking but the words weren't making any sense.

Her smell: citrus maybe orange blossom? It was familiar but so was this feeling taking root deep down inside of him.

The more she talked, the more he fought the urge to cut and run. The panic, the shortness of breath. What was she thinking? He couldn't talk.

Her dark hair hung in waves around her face and tumbled on to her shoulders.

Concentrate Shannon, he thought. Try to breathe. The coffee arrived and he rested the palm of his hand across the top of the cup, feeling the steam condense on his skin. The feeling soothed him and he looked across at the woman.

"I'm sorry. What was it you were saying?" he asked, determined to keep a lid on whatever was bubbling under the surface.

"Would you keep an eye on my table for a moment? This place is so busy, I don't want to lose my seat," she said, giving him an apologetic smile. "I hope you don't mind me asking. It's just you're alone and I didn't want to disturb anyone else," she added, gesturing to groups of people chatting and passing the time of day.

Shannon raised a smile and nodded. Her perfume drifted over as she stood up to go. He suddenly realized she had come into the cafe behind him. He hadn't seen her face but that smell was a definite signature.

"I won't be long," she said, and walked away, leaving behind only citrus waves and an indefinable air of sadness.

"Take your time," he murmured, watching as she disappeared from view. The last he heard was the ring of the door bell as she left the cafe. The breeze caught her coat as she turned and looked back through the window, catching his eye.

She smiled and then turned away.

That was the last he saw of Meghan Mallory.

She left behind only a trace of perfume and her diary, hidden from view underneath the table.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to leave me a comment or if you really enjoyed, a vote. Have a great weekend x