Chapter 7: January 20

It's Tuesday! I'm still not finding the time to publish on a regular basis, so thanks to those of you who are sticking with this story. It's time to catch up with Meghan's diary. I hope you enjoy this latest chapter and that you're all staying safe and well xxxx

What happened after university was a blur and because of that, I'm going to skip a few years.

All you need to know is that I never saw Europe, and any dreams I might have had were crushed under the weight of Mark's ambition.

Within a year of graduating, we were husband and wife, and my whole world was turned upside down.

I was young, naive and I gave up everything in pursuit of his dreams. At least that's what it seemed like.

Don't get me wrong, back then I loved him. I loved his naked ambition and for the first time in my life, I was truly happy.

For someone whose early life was such a struggle, having someone take control came as a relief.

He made decisions, he earned the money and he was more than happy for me to have my life, while he pressed on with work.

Sitting here now, I can't believe I was so stupid not to see what was happening. I look at photos of myself back then and I never realized how beautiful I was.

And I definitely didn't see how I was being groomed as a future deal breaker in his sordid world of boardroom handshakes and backstabbing.

There's so much I could tell you about life back then, but it's easier if I just select certain turning points in our relationship.

I won't comment. I'll tell it how it was and I'll let you decide if what I'm doing is right or wrong.

****

"Try this on and turn away from me."

Mark handed me a red silk dress with a back that scooped down to just above the pantie line. I turned away and he arranged the folds so they elegantly skimmed my hips and fell to the floor.

"Where are we going?"

I held out one foot for him to fix the silver Jimmy Choo strap around my ankle and then the other before standing up and turning away, as requested.

"Do I look OK?" I glanced over my shoulder, aware the clock was ticking if we wanted to make the party on time.

"It's just the look I wanted." He casually eyed me up and down then turned and walked away.

"Give me five minutes to finish my make-up and I'll be with you."

The look in his eyes told me not to be a moment longer.

When we arrived, the party was in full swing. A valet rushed to take our car after we'd navigated the long and winding driveway.

Ahead of us, I could see the house; a series of white box shapes, flat-roofed with floor to ceiling windows overlooking a floodlit pool.

It was illuminated by spotlights hidden in lush greenery and guests were standing around, sipping colorful cocktails. 

Mark whispered something in my ear and before I could reply, he turned and walked away, speaking into his phone. His head was dipped and whoever he was speaking to, had his full attention.

I grabbed a glass of Champagne to dull the gnawing uncertainty that was blossoming inside of me. The bubbles exploded on my tongue and the sensation was relaxing as the alcohol worked its way into my bloodstream.