Chapter 6: Shannon

It didn't take Shannon long to realize something was not quite right. 

He finished his coffee and scrolled through his phone, checking on emails and answering a few messages from his brother. Nothing urgent, nothing business-related, just passing the time of day stuff. 

He shook his head at an image Jared had sent of himself dressed in some outlandish clothes from a photoshoot. A few more followed in a similar vein, showcasing some magazine editorial.

Shannon snapped a photo of his shabby jeans and biker boots and pinged it back before putting his phone down and checking out the cafe door.

It had been half an hour since the woman left with just a backward glance and a smile through the window. 

Shannon checked the time again and wondered what the hell she was up to. People were waiting to be seated and he was sat there for no apparent reason. He'd give her another five minutes and then he'd have to leave.

When he looked up, a waiter had already started cleaning the table, polishing the surface before replacing the menu. He rearranged the chairs, pulling them out one by one.

Shannon watched, unable to say anything. Nobody was sitting there. He had no claim on it. As the last chair was pulled out, the waiter bent down and picked up a leather-bound book. 

He turned to walk away with it and without thinking, Shannon called out. The young man turned around to look at him.

"Sorry. Can I help?"

"I was looking after that table for the woman who just left. I'll return that book to her," Shannon said, holding out his hand.

The waiter looked slightly confused but handed over the slim volume. Shannon smiled and thanked him before getting up to leave.

"It's all yours," he said, signaling to the empty table.

Once outside, Shannon scanned the busy street, wondering where the woman had gone and why she hadn't returned. 

The book was safe in his rucksack but he suddenly felt a little uncertain. What if she returned to find Shannon and the book had gone? Someone would point out that a man in shabby jeans had walked off with it.

Shannon toyed with the idea of going back and handing it in. But something stopped him.

Instead, he continued walking, in the hope he'd see her and be able to return it in person.

Pike Place Market was buzzing. It was lunchtime and Shannon threaded his way through patio areas with outdoor seating. The smell of coffee was distracting but not as much as the puzzle of his mystery woman.

For the first time, all thoughts of Laurel had disappeared.

All he could picture was this woman's face and the subtle perfume she trailed in her wake.

Why though, had she left her book? He presumed she'd left it by accident and again considered handing it back to the coffee shop. But again, something deep down stopped him.

All around noise and chatter was coming from cafes and bars.

After losing Laurel, his fear of crowds, and of being forced into unwanted social gatherings, had become extreme. 

He pulled his glasses on, not just to shade his eyes but to reflect unwanted attention. 

A girl pointed a phone in his direction and he turned away. It was time to go.

****

"Come in!"

The door swung open and Brian threw his arms around Shannon, welcoming his old friend.

"Sorry about the mess. I'm repairing an old bike."

"I'm guessing Jess is away," Shannon said, looking at motorcycle parts spread across the kitchen floor."

"What makes you think that?" he laughed, clearing a path so they could walk outside to the decking.

"I'm just taking advantage of the time alone to get some important jobs done."

Shannon grinned as Brian went back inside and returned with two bottles of iced beer.

Things never changed. Brian and Jessica had been married for ten years and Shannon envied their easy-going relationship and open-home policy. He'd often turn up unannounced looking for advice or a shoulder to cry on.

"So what brings you out here," Brian asked.

Shannon reached into his rucksack and held out the book.

"What's that?"

"That's exactly what I'm wondering," Shannon replied before explaining what had happened earlier.

"She told me to look after her table and then disappeared. I thought she'd be coming back but as far as I'm aware she didn't return. I had to get out because people were waiting to be seated."

"Do you think she wanted you to find this?" Brian asked, picking up the book. "Have you opened it?"

Shannon shook his head and gulped down the beer. "I can see there's writing inside. It didn't seem right."

"But it might give you an idea how to find her," he suggested, returning the book.

 "Take a look. She might have written her name and address inside. You never know," he said, shrugging at Shannon's sceptical expression.

"That would be far too easy. You should know there's nothing easy about my life," Shannon replied.

"So, how was therapy?"

"How did you know I'd been to an appointment?"

"Because you always go to some coffee shop or another after those sessions. I've known you long enough, remember."

Brian never missed a thing and Shannon explained how they'd talked about Laurel and that maybe it was time for him to try to move on with his life.

"What do you think?" Shannon asked.

"Since when has my opinion mattered?"

"It's always mattered, you know that."

"I was joking Shan. Look, move on when you feel it's right. What happened with Laurel wasn't your fault. There was nothing you could do that night. Some things are beyond our control and you can't beat yourself up about it. You'll know when the time's right."

Shannon tried to block the memories. It was becoming easier over time and the pain was gradually subsiding. But he still remembered her final words to him: If you loved me, you'd let me go.

He never saw her again.

Shannon finished off the beer and stood up. "Thanks for the advice. Things are getting better, it's just taking time to process things."

"Don't forget the book." Brian handed it to Shannon before they headed back inside.

"I hope you clean this shit before Jess gets back. She'll kick your ass into tomorrow," Shannon said as they picked their way back through the kitchen and to the front door.

"I have it all under control. Let me know about that book, though. I'm intrigued," he said, before waving goodbye to his friend.

****

The bike ride home didn't take long and soon Shannon was settled on his couch, glad to close the door and relax at last.

Brian was right, maybe the book would offer a clue to the woman's identity.

The thought had been nagging away until he couldn't put it off any longer.

Shannon reached over to his rucksack and pulled out the slim volume. The smell of leather greeted him as he flipped open the cover and started reading.

That was two weeks ago.