2

Hours passed and the coronation party continued. As the time passed by, Cassandra felt like she's being suffocated by the judging gaze of everyone inside.

She's finding it hard to breath, as if the oxygen she needs is not around. A painful lump was forming in her throat. She wanted to get out of here but she knew that it would only cause a ruckus.

Setting her anxiety aside — she stayed.

Seeing him standing there alone. Cassandra quickly made a move and grabbed his arm, pulling him outside of the huge hall — the guards quickly opened the huge doors for them as they left, entering a new room for privacy.

"How did you know that it was me?" She asked.

Varian gave her a serious look. "Your eyes."

"What?"

He let out a small chuckle. "Cassie, you may be unrecognizable with your make up, but your eyes will never ever lie. I will always know you - no matter what disguise you wore."

Cassandra turned her head to the side, breaking their eye contact. "This is wrong, Varian."

She felt his soft hand on her cheeks, slowly moving her head to meet his eyes again. "I don't care, Cassie."

She took a step back — feeling the wall on her back, a lump forming on her throat. "You have to care, Varian. You're the King!"

She flinched when she felt his right hand slammed on the wall behind her, a few inch away from the side of her head.

"Damn it, Cassie. All my life, I always think about the kingdom! Can't I even have just a small amount of happiness?" His voice were cold.

Cassandra remained silent — feeling weak by his strong demeanor. He's the only one who can make her feel this helpless. She wanted to turn away, she wanted to push him and just leave this room — leave everything behind.

But why can't she take a step away from him?

She felt his other hand holding hers, intertwining their fingers together. She didn't resist nor complain. She wanted to say something but it felt like something was stuck on her throat.

"Do you still love me, Cassie? Do you feel the same way I do?" His face were inches away from her.

She gulped. She knew the answer to that question but she knew that answering it can either make or break their future together.

"I-" she stopped. She doesn't know what to say.

"Please answer, Cassie," his voice were soft and soothing.

"I-" she heaved a deep breath, trying to gather the last strength she have.

"I don't." She pushed him away.

Yes. She lied and she knew that.

She took a step away from and was about to run away but he was fast enough to grab her arm. She tried to pull away but his grip were too strong - since when did he became this strong after five years?

"You know that you're not a good liar," he stated.

She knew it. Ever since they met, Varian always knew if she lie or not. She looked away, remaining silent.

"Why do you want to leave me again, Cassie? Is it something I did? Am I not enough?" His voice cracked. "D-did you found someone new? Is it because I'm too weak? Was it because I'm too nerdy? Is it because of my-"

Unable to keep hearing him put himself down, Cassandra spoke up.

"Yes. I still love you," she admitted.

She continued, "it's not about you, Varian. It's about me. Can't you see? I-I'm a criminal! A villain. You're a King. I-I can't fight with that. You need a Queen on your side and not some commoner." A tear fell from her eyes.

His eyes widened and he pulled her in a hug, his arms wrapped around her tightly with no intention to let the lady go.

"You are my Queen, Cassie," he whispered.

She pushed him away. "I'm sorry, Varian. But there can't be an Us."

She turned her back and was about to open the door of the room when he spoke up again.

"I told you before, Cassie. There is no way I'm letting you go."