Chapter 1

In the clear blue sky of the northern seas, the sun raised again. On a big rock taller than the waters, the village of Berk has woken up. Truly a beautiful sight to witness, a place of harmony and comradery crossing the bounds of species, a place were secular enemies, vikings and dragons, learnt to live in peace and support each others in times of need. A peace that has been brought by the enlightening friendship that the son of the chief in person built, against all traditions, with the last of the most fearsome draconic race : the unbreakable bond between Hiccup the human and Toothless the nightfury. Hiccup has succeeded to his father, and both dragons and two-legged were now looking up at the duo for guidance and inspiration.

Yet today, while everyone were going to their occupations in the village, those two were the ones missing. The vikings didn't need the young man to tell them what to do, but his friends still were worried about him. For the past week... something has been off with him and his beloved dragon. Pausing her duties for the day, Astrid, best (human) friend of Hiccup, decided to go check on him. The blonde warrior walked up the hill on which the Haddock family house has been built. Before knocking on the wooden door she peeked at the side of the mansion and spotted the black dragon of her friend asleep, curled up on the grass. It was already weird to see him sleeping alone outside of his rider's house, when the two used to spend the night together, warming each other up. But what really threw her off was the fact that the young nightfury was... strapped ! Restraints around his mouth to keep it shut, a collar attached with a leash to a pillar in the ground, even his wings were tied together by thongs of leather ! She frowned and knocked on the door. For hiccup to get to such extremes, something bad must be happening.

She still waited for several minutes before the chief of Berk opened the door with one hand, the other rubbing his eye. His hair were even more a mess than usual, and his face was silently screaming tiredness. He mumbled under his breath as he laid his half open eyes on Astrid before weakly smiling at her.

« Oh, hey Astrid... how are you doing ? » He greeted her with a yawn, and she crossed her arms on her chest looking at him the way she knew to do, with that stern gaze of her.

« You know that everyone's already up and running at this hour ? Except their chief of course. » He only answered with a grumble, and she didn't let him the time to formulate a more decent sentence. « What's wrong ? Why is Toothless sleeping all by himself alone ? And by Odin's sake, why is he strapped like that ? »

Hiccup immediately raised his hand to her face and covered her mouth, a finger on his own mouth « Shhh..! Don't wake him up already... » the viking sighed and waved her inside, seeing her surprised and mildly upset expression « here, come in. »

Astrid blinked, looking at the boy returning inside of his house, and after glancing one last time at the sleepy black scaly mass, she followed him inside, closing the door behind her.

« Are you finally going to tell me what's going on Hiccup ? » said Astrid as soon as they were inside, but looked away from Hiccup to see around the house, that was looking rather awful. Hiccup was never an ace of housework, but the furniture upside down, objects supposed to rest in drawers spilled on the floor, some things broken here and there, that was too much even for the nerdy viking, who after sighing another time sat on a table and joined his hands on his lap.

« It's Toothless, Astrid. He's acting really weird lately. I'm very worried about him. »

For the past several days, Astrid as well heard the older inhabitants of the village complaining about the chief's dragon. Someone crying over the sheeps that were supposed to end up in his own plate actually serving as the nightfury's meal, stuff broken here and there that some swore to have witnessed the black dragon's guilt, him being overly agressive with the other dragons, even hurting a few... but she didn't pay too much attention to these. Now it seemed it was more serious than she first thought. She frowned, perplexed.